Cracked Closet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
Wasn't sure to post this here or in the plumbing forum. I'm sure this has been covered before but I wasn't able to find any posts so I apologize in advance. This has to be a very common problem.

I recently reseated the toilet in my guest bath as my wife was complaining of sewage smells and I assumed the wax ring had degraded. Turns out I was right. However in the process I uncovered another issue which may have caused the wax ring to leak sewer gas.

The toilet is mounted on a PVC closet flange and the mounting holes on both sides of the flange have cracked. Not so much the toilet won't stay put but I'm sure it will eventually cause problems. My question is this, short of chipping up my concrete floor, cutting off the drain pipe and installing a new closest flange is there another less drastic fix?

Reach4

Reaction score
If the PVC flange does not sit too high, consider a repair ring.

Sioux Chief 886-MR is not split. It would go over the top.
https://www.siouxchief.com/products/drainage/residential/closet-flanges/spacer-repair/ringer
Clearly says stainless now.

PASCO 21013 and Superior 21015 are repair rings with mounting tabs outside.

If the PVC flange sits too high, a belt sander might thin it out.

A split ring might go beneath the PVC.

Sioux Chief 886-MRM is a split repair ring. May be galvanized. Not sure
Oatey 42777 Moss Bay is a split repair ring. Seems to be galvanized, even tho some say stainless
https://www.grainger.com/product/HARVEY-Toilet-Flange-5PA60
https://www.lifeandhome.com/products/william-harvey-014710-toilet-flange-repair-ring-1-4
Harvey's 014710 is stainless split.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That's one major reason why plumbers don't like to use an all-plastic flange!

A second thing, code calls for sealing around the front of the toilet with a sealant caulk. This accomplishes two things: helps to hold the toilet in place so you don't need to tighten the bolts too much (BTW, push the toilet down into the wax with your body weight, not by tightening the bolts!) and seals the toilet from getting crud underneath that is really hard to clean up again. Don't use a silicone caulk. DAP's kitchen and bathroom caulk tends to come off later if you need to remove the toilet.

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
This accomplishes two things: helps to hold the toilet in place so you don't need to tighten the bolts too much

Well that's part of the problem. Too much is not much at all. The caulk let go of the toilet and it started walking. How old was the caulk? I really have no idea, it was like that when we moved in the house a year and a half ago. I don't want to do this again, ever. No offense to you guys who do this everyday but its a [expletive deleted] nasty job.

The flange is at or just a little above floor level. I think this should work fine. At the very least a lot more positive than it is now.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Those that might try silicone caulk, curse when it comes time to remove the toilet...that stuff is tough!

HudsonDIY

Reaction score

Sioux Chief 886-MR is not split. It would go over the top.

Reach4 I installed the Sioux Chief 886-MR and the toilet is now tight and leak free. It did raise the flange slightly but nothing really significant.

I went ahead and put in a new flush valve, tank ring and all new hardware. Hopefully I won't have to mess with that toilet for a while. Thanks for the tip. Wife is no longer complaining about the toilet rocking and rolling or the smell. Happy wife, happy life.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks