Cracked acrylic flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnlard

Reaction score
I cracked our acrylic tub’s flange. It won’t be a cosmetic issue due to the backer board and tile but will there be structural issues? Can anything be done to repair this to maintain structural integrity (eg epoxy)? Thank you.

1D0B2D97-9BBA-4890-B106-C70D7E19D370.jpeg

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a plumber or pro of any kind. It take your question to mean "Will this crack spread and cause a problem?". To me it looks like you just chipped off some of the acrylic. I had a bit of the acrylic chip off when I installed my tub (not nearly as much as yours). There are companies that repair acrylic tubs. However, I would contact the manufacturer for direction. My guess would be that they will say to leave it alone, but they may indicate you should have it repaired. Either way, I would follow their advice.

Reach4

Reaction score
I expect that flathead deck screw was not the right kind of screw to use without a washer -- for others who may be planning.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I expect that flathead deck screw was not the right kind of screw to use without a washer -- for others who may be planning.

I was wondering if it was a failure to pre-drill or the use of a screw gauge that was higher than recommended.

Maax installation guide says "No 8 x 1 1/4» screws (4.2 mm x 32 mm, Flat or Phillips head)". I don't believe they mention washers. I have only ever installed one tub, so I don't know what the other manufactures specify.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I looked around for the correct screws and it seems to be a mixed bag. First a hole must be drilled. then use a pan head or flat head screw such as https://www.lowes.com/pd/Teks-8-x-1...-0V9BZFyzJLmu9sqkMBoCCBsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you leave that deck screw or hardie board type screw, the tub may eventually start to crack by leaving the screw in there. The screw head gets wider and that is what caused the damage. The wall studs will swell and shrink with seasonal changes in humidity putting more or less stress on the screw head.

Reach4

Reaction score
Maax installation guide says "No 8 x 1 1/4» screws (4.2 mm x 32 mm, Flat or Phillips head)". I don't believe they mention washers. I have only ever installed one tub, so I don't know what the other manufactures specify.
Interesting.

screw-types.jpg

This would be a Phillips head without the countersink aspect. Other Phillips would be made for a countersunk hole I would think they would want to specify that aspect.

headstyles.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnlard

Reaction score
Thanks all! That is exactly what happened. We used deck screws. We will be removing the deck screws and using the flat-type screws. I’m more concerned with the acrylic continuing to crack and and wondering how to mitigate this risk (if any). Silicone vs calk? For some reason my second cracked photo didn’t show. See attached.

22928631-EAFB-4830-9904-51E050542B19.jpeg

Modulerics

Reaction score
Thanks all! That is exactly what happened. We used deck screws. We will be removing the deck screws and using the flat-type screws. I’m more concerned with the acrylic continuing to crack and and wondering how to mitigate this risk (if any). Silicone vs calk? For some reason my second cracked photo didn’t show. See attached.
How did this turn out?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks