Crack in cast iron bath tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Obladi555

Reaction score
I had recently installed a new tub drain a few weeks ago, and today I noticed a hairline crack with rust where the drain is (please see photos). Our tub is an American Standard cast iron and is most likely 40-50 years old.

Can anyone offer and help for this? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Photo Aug 04, 3 05 28 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 04, 3 05 28 PM.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 897
  • Photo Aug 04, 3 06 31 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 04, 3 06 31 PM.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 541

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That looks to be a crack in the porcelain coating. Does it leak water? Or is it mainly that it looks bad?

A cast iron tubs weighs a good 300 pounds and is thick.
A porcelain on steel tub weighs about 100 pounds, and they can rust out.

Obladi555

Reaction score
Hi Terry,

Thankfully there is no leak. My concern is that this will lead to a more severe problem down the road. Do you have any recommendations to remedy this?

Thank you!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It WILL probably lead to problems eventually, because the cast iron will rust, which is the brown stain, and that will create pressure under the finish and "pop" it off. No telling how long it will take, however.

Obladi555

Reaction score
hj, yeah the rust stain is what alarmed me. Is there a way to keep this from rusting further? I've seen a few "patch kits"online for tub chips and cracks...is that worth exploring? Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks