CPVC Drain Line

Users who are viewing this thread

ScAndal

Reaction score
I want to swap my drain lines on my Water Softener and Iron Filter. I'd like to switch to CPVC for a more ridgid and routable drain option.

I've never seen pictures on how people are connecting CPVC to their devices? Is there an adapter or just running existing nylon tubing into CPVC?

Reach4

Reaction score
You want to run CPVC right to the softener valve? The valve DLFC will have a threaded port. So unscrew whatever tubing adapter is screwed to the valve DLFC housing, and screw on your threaded PVC adapter. It would be 3/4 NPT for the 5810SXT softener, but I would need to measure to make sure. The DLFC housing for bigger flows output with 1 inch NPT. The major thread diameter for 3/4 NPT is about 1.05 inches.

If you pull the valve off at some point in the future, dealing with the rigid connection could be harder.

PVC is an alternative. It is bigger for a given nominal size.

What is the GPM for backwash of the iron filter?

Last edited:

ScAndal

Reaction score
You want to run CPVC right to the softener valve? The valve DLFC will have a threaded port. So unscrew whatever tubing adapter is screwed to the valve DLFC housing, and screw on your threaded PVC adapter. It would be 3/4 NPT for the 5810SXT softener, but I would need to measure to make sure. The DLFC housing for bigger flows output with 1 inch NPT. The major thread diameter for 3/4 NPT is about 1.05 inches.

If you pull the valve off at some point in the future, dealing with the rigid connection could be harder.

PVC is an alternative. It is bigger for a given nominal size.

What is the GPM for backwash of the iron filter?
Thanks Reach. Yes I guess CPVC or PVC..I mean, I don't think I'd need anymore durability than PVC? PVC is lighter probably too?

I'll have to look at the fittings on the valve housings (not home right now), I guess I just assumed they were proprietary.

GPM for iron filter backwash is 5gpm

Reach4

Reaction score
The CPVC you find in the stores is CTS (copper tubing size). So 3/4 CPVC would be 0.875 OD. 3/4 PVC would be 1.050 inches OD.

Looking at https://www.ipolymer.com/pdf/PVC.pdf the specs of CPVC look superior. But well drop pipes are usually PVC, and never CPVC as far as I know.

But 3/4 CPVC is plenty able to carry 5 gpm with margin. PEX is also usually CTS, so the same hangers can be used.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks