Coupling for 4" PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

NC remodels

Reaction score
Hey all, I had to do a repair to my main 4" under the basement slab that connects to the cast iron and goes to the street. What coupling would you recommend to connect two pieces of 4" schedule 40 PVC together? Will the typical coupling with the 2 hubs be fine? what about an inside connector? My main concern is durability since it carries all my waste and will be buried under the slab again. Many Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A standard PVC coupling works, or if you can't move the pipes apart to fit that in, something like these below.
They make them in different sizes.

https://www.missionrubber.com/pricing/?id=heavyweight-couplings

LEGEND:
Cast Iron (CI)
Copper (K)
Schedule 40 Plastic (PL)
Steel (ST)
Stainless Steel (SS)
Tubular (T)
Thinwall Plastic (TWP)
Extra Heavy Cast Iron (XHCI)

Reach4

Reaction score
Fernco 1056-44RC or P1056-44RC fits 4-inch pvc and is approved for underground.

I was surprised with the recent discussions that a lot of the shielded couplings are not for underground.

NC remodels

Reaction score
A standard PVC coupling works, or if you can't move the pipes apart to fit that in, something like these below.
They make them in different sizes.

https://www.missionrubber.com/pricing/?id=heavyweight-couplings

LEGEND:
Cast Iron (CI)
Copper (K)
Schedule 40 Plastic (PL)
Steel (ST)
Stainless Steel (SS)
Tubular (T)
Thinwall Plastic (TWP)
Extra Heavy Cast Iron (XHCI)

Terry, will this be ok or would you suggest using the PVC coupling? This was easier to do by myself with the 13' long 4". I also did it before I saw this post.

I also have this same coupling attaching the PL to the 4" CI at my foundation wall, just before it goes to the street.
nohub.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Should be good . I assume aproved in your area up to you to verify. just want to mention not just for this example but there . is product sold thats not always legal to use in your area. And even sometimes not aprooved anywhere . weve had chinese pipe come here with no stamping or ID of any kind inspectors were making us remove it, fittings , adapters, etc , just because Home depot sells it doesent mean its ok.
Your case I think is good though, good luck!

Reach4

Reaction score
Where they are permitted, those unshielded couplers are supposed to be buried. It will probably work fine as is.