Corrosion on jet pump flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Cudos

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have 1/2 hp jet pump that has corrosion in the water inlet flange. I am on well water and wonder if this could be a problem now or down the road. Have a look a the pic, It's a moist powdery texture. Thanks
IMG_4395.JPG

Cudos

Reaction score
Looks more like silicon someone used as a gasket between the bolted on ejector and the pump case. Are you sure it is corrosion?
Yup its corrosion, very similar in texture in you'd find in a toy or remote control where the batteries have corroded. I'm assuming its some sore of corrosion going on with the cast iron housing, cold water entering and maybe the warm of the room causing a reaction????

Cudos

Reaction score
More likely the gasket is leaking or there wouldn't be any moisture to cause corrosion. So maybe you need some silicone? :)
That was I thought might be happening but there is never ever any drips or water drops coming from it, so if that gasket was leaking would there not be water somewhere????

Thanks for your thoughts

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That was I thought might be happening but there is never ever any drips or water drops coming from it, so if that gasket was leaking would there not be water somewhere????

Thanks for your thoughts

Probably leaking just enough to cause the corrosion. Just enough water to evaporate, which is where the corrosion is coming from.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It looks like mineral deposits to me which is something you could have with a slow leak. Metal (iron) corrosion would be rust coloured.

Cudos

Reaction score
It looks like mineral deposits to me which is something you could have with a slow leak. Metal (iron) corrosion would be rust coloured.
Thanks for the reply, my well water does have 3ppm iron in it, which in a better picture does show some rust color in that residue. Time to tear it apart I guess and replace the gasket/silicone. a very slow or tiny leak makes sense, not enough to drip but enough to build a mineral deposit.

Thanks for all the everyone , appreciate it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, my well water does have 3ppm iron in it, which in a better picture does show some rust color in that residue. Time to tear it apart I guess and replace the gasket/silicone. a very slow or tiny leak makes sense, not enough to drip but enough to build a mineral deposit.
If that is the interpretation that you got from reading the replies to your post, your interpretation differs from mine. I thought they were saying that it's not a big deal if it does not turn into a water leak, and to do better gasketing on the next pump.

Cudos

Reaction score
If that is the interpretation that you got from reading the replies to your post, your interpretation differs from mine. I thought they were saying that it's not a big deal if it does not turn into a water leak, and to do better gasketing on the next pump.
Possibly, I just hate anything that leaks, even in tiny amounts. I'm sure it will be fine until I replace the pump, speaking of new pumps, how long do these jet pumps generally last, mine is a 1/2 berkerly pump, used year round, mostly on weekends. The pump is now 10 years old, whats the typical lifespan? and do they generally act up before the crap the bed or just crater.

Cheers

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks