Convert old Kinetico tank to fleck air wash/iron filter system?

Users who are viewing this thread

imadunatic

Reaction score
Thanks to the members of this forum I recently decided to replace our 15 year kinetico 2 tank with a Fleck 5600 SXT single tank system and now that it's programmed properly I am loving it. I recently noticed some Fleck 5600 and 2510 air inject systems being marketed as air wash, iron filters, sulfur filters etc and it sounds like exactly what we need for a persistent but intermittent sulfur smell in our water.

It got me to wondering, would it be possible to clean out one of these only Kinetico tanks and repurpose it as an iron/sulfur filter system? Is it possible to just get the media and the valve and DIY my own? If so, any recommended sources? The ready to go models are ~$650ish, I was hoping maybe I could do my own for half that.

As always, thanks in advance for any help.

Kevin

blaze4545

Reaction score
What size are the tanks? For air injection systems you would want to use a minimum 10X54" for the air. I know alot of Kinetico systems tend to be on the smaller size since they use two tanks.

If you are considering DIY make sure you look at all the costs vs buying a pre built system from a reputable dealer:

CAD prices

• Control Valve $300
  • Bypass and Plumbing Yoke $60
  • Riser Tube $15
  • Upper basket $5
  • Gravel $20
  • Birm media $120 (or Catalytic carbon $230 Katalox $300)
  • Half a bag of carbon $45
  • Media Disposal
  • Your labour

$565 vs $1000

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks