Constant flow

Users who are viewing this thread

Carmel Corn

Reaction score
IMHO - one of the key points is that the water level stops at the drain tile level. I suspect it's because the drain tiles are filling vs. the water table leveling off naturally. Only way to be sure is to have them wait long enough to see if the water eventually starts rising again after the tiles fill. That could take hours to determine.

Inverter strategy is a good layer of defense...I have one as well, but still prefer the Aquanot II as the primary backup mechanism. One would need an inverter rated at 1500 watts (3000 peak) to handle the surge of the primary AC pump. Xantrex makes a battery/inverter combination that can be purchased on line for $300 or so, but some models lack an automatic switchover and the battery is only rated at 60 amp hour.....not much pumping time.

Reaction score
I would set the switch so that it starts pumping if the water rises one inch above the current no-inflow level. That has three effects. First and most important, it protects your basement from rising water. Second, if the pump starts running, that is a warning that the water is rising and you can check on the percentage of ON time to determine how fast the water is coming in. Third, it keeps the pump from running needlessly when the ground-water is not a threat to your basement.

I'm not quite sure I understand..one inch above what? The plumber is coming here tomorrow so I'm going to relay your advice.

Reaction score
IMHO - one of the key points is that the water level stops at the drain tile level. I suspect it's because the drain tiles are filling vs. the water table leveling off naturally. Only way to be sure is to have them wait long enough to see if the water eventually starts rising again after the tiles fill. That could take hours to determine.

Inverter strategy is a good layer of defense...I have one as well, but still prefer the Aquanot II as the primary backup mechanism. One would need an inverter rated at 1500 watts (3000 peak) to handle the surge of the primary AC pump. Xantrex makes a battery/inverter combination that can be purchased on line for $300 or so, but some models lack an automatic switchover and the battery is only rated at 60 amp hour.....not much pumping time.

I can try this and see. I'll wait hours if that is what it takes. BUT if the drain tiles fill won't that cause damage and water to flow elsewhere?

Carmel Corn

Reaction score
It should not cause any damage to test this. As an alternative, you can simply wait an hour or two once the water levels off. After that, plug in your pump. After it finishes its first cycle, I think you will see is an increase of volume gushing in from the drain tile pipes. This will cause your pit to fill up again faster than "normal" flow and trigger your pump to run again. My point is that this temporary "gushing" that you'll see represents the additional volume of water that is accumulating in the drain tiles. If there is no immediate/discernable increase in the flow rate coming into the pit, then water is not accumulating in the drain tiles. Flow rates should return to normal once the tiles are empty....usually takes a few cycles for this to happen if they've accumulated water.

Reaction score
One time we had a contractor here putting up crown molding..they unplugged the sump pump to plug in their saw. They plugged the sump pump in an outlet that didn't work. Where our sump pump is plugged in there is a black outlet and a white one. Anyway the sump pump filled up a few weeks later(this was before our current water issue) and how we knew it had filled up was..water accumulated by our basement exit door. Luckily we checked the sump pump and water was near the top of the basin. So I'm sure the same would happen if I did the test.

I didn't realize water could flow in the black tubing(drain tiles) it seems like it wouldn't flow back up?

Reaction score
I don't know what has changed, or if you are only now noticing that the pump operates more in the wet season. Maybe the pump level switch was adjusted or the pump was set lower. In any case, you have not mentioned that you have had a problem with water in the basement. Everything seems to be under control, and there is no apparent threat to your basement. Your pump has a capacity of 10 times the rate of inflow that you have been experiencing. Keep an eye on things and you will be able to deal with any issues that arise.

Our basement is unfinished and our washer and dryer are down there. Our sump has definitely never ran like this in the 4 years we have been here. The total mystery is why now after so many years? Maybe b/c my house is new and the soil is still settling? Nobody has adjusted the pump I can guarantee that. My husbad is NOT handy and wouldn't even attempt to try the test you suggested that I ultimately did. I appreciate all the advice, I really do:)

Carmel Corn

Reaction score
"I didn't realize water could flow in the black tubing(drain tiles) it seems like it wouldn't flow back up?"

Good question - remember the drain tile piping is "below" your floor level. As water accumulates and flows into your drain tiles, the pipes themselves are not very full with the incoming water. Drain tiles feed the water into your pit. Water is self-leveling....as water rises in the pit, the water finds new space available in the drain tile pipe because the amount coming in is minimal vs. the space available in that pipe. Again, the drain tiles are below the level of your floor, so water will level itself in those pipes before rising further in your pit. Hope this makes sense.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks