Connectors for plastic pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Duke

Reaction score
I have to connect several pieces of the black plastic pipe used to pump water from a lake to my cottage. Which connectors are recommended ...steel or plastic?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the connectors are outdoors, I use the hard plastic PVC fittings. If inside, brass or stainless are preferred.

I always avoid the white ones because I have seen too many broken ones.

Duke

Reaction score
Is there a problem with using the stainless connectors outside ? Wouldn't they survive the harsh effects of minus 25f temperatures in winter better than plastic?.Pipes would be empty and on land then.

BiffNH

Reaction score
I agree with Bob, avoid the white (nylon) fittings - they don't last as long as the blue PVC style. Galvanized and brass are good, but if the fitting is going to be submerged I would stay with the PVC, unless you know that the brass fitting is of good quality. Of course if you have a source of stainless, then go for it!

John-casting97

Reaction score
biffnh said:
I agree with Bob, avoid the white (nylon) fittings - they don't last as long as the blue PVC style. Galvanized and brass are good, but if the fitting is going to be submerged I would stay with the PVC, unless you know that the brass fitting is of good quality. Of course if you have a source of stainless, then go for it!
I agree with you.pvc is more durable than the white fittings.stainless steel is better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks