Connecting to cast iron

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim S

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to connect PVC to a cast iron bell and the CI is out of round. I tried using a Fernco donut and it would not go in so I measured the pipe. It is 4 13/16 horizontally and 5" vertically - so it's off by 3/16" out of round! So I can see a couple options.

1. Get my die grinder and attempt to reshape the pipe to be close to round then use a donut.
2. Cut the bell off and use a Fernco connector on the elbow.
3. Use some sort of oakum and sealant/epoxy combination to make the joint.

Any suggestions? thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5933.JPG
    IMG_5933.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_5936.JPG
    IMG_5936.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_5937.JPG
    IMG_5937.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 283

Jim S

Reaction score
Ok so if anybody cares, here is what I did. I called Fernco and the woman on the phone suggested getting a connector to go OVER the bell. So that is what I did. Only I went up to my local plumbing supply store and they got one that was real close. And, it worked perfectly! Before I put it on, I ground down the outer edge to smooth it a little.

Attachments

• IMG_5941.JPG
    IMG_5941.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 278

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm glad you were able to make that work.
The inside rubber inserts do come in different sizes and because of that I try to buy several types or brands. You don't always have them where you purchase them though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks