Connecting propane flex tubes end-to-end?

Users who are viewing this thread

nidva

Reaction score
MANY MANY THANKS! I have read your responses and have called our plumbing contractor.

Not knowing any better - but knowing enough to know what I do not know, I posted my "situation". The concept seemed so easy - but I figured I would get great feedback from this site right away! I did - and avoided a deadly error. MANY THANKS - We'll follow your advice!

We are rearranging our kitchen - swapping the propane range with the counter that is immediately adjacent to it.

The gas delivery line nipple is, of course, right behind the range. And we hope to move the range about 45 inches.

It seems the flexible metal gas line from the delivery nipple to the range is readily available in lengths up to 48 inches. Too short for our needs.

Can a pair of these flexible metal gas lines be connected end to end with a male-to-male adapter to allow longer length for relocating the range?

Thank you!

Last edited:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Propane gas flex

Have you ever heard of the big bang theory ? ? ?

Thats what happened the last time some one tryed that ! ! ! !

You need a professional plumber to run "ridgid pipe" to new location per all national plumbing codes ! ! !

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Please don't!

explosion-at-farm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connectors

The two things that limit it are the code requirement that they not be connected together, and the maximum length of a flexible connection which is less that what two connectors would produce. Run a steel pipe to the vicinity of the new location and then use a single connector. Use too long of a corrugated connector and it will hum at its maximum capacity.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Sounds like get a plumber/get a permit time.

Research gas topics on this forum if you think this is a DIYer job. Best rest at night for you will be having the permit and then having the work inspected by the county/city inspector.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The maximum length of gas connector allowed is 48" ( although I think an exception to 60" is made for stoves). Putting 2 of any length together is not a good idea, and probably not allowed. Much easier and safer to just extend the black pipe to the proper new location.

Wrex

Reaction score
Bottom line get a plumber to extend the black iron or do it yourself with a permit and get it inspected.

As the others have already said flex tubing is only for the short run from the appliance to the black iron and it's not designed to be used as the gas equivalent of an extension cord. Not to mention that this tubing is more vulnerable to being punctured, hit, stepped on, crushed, etc. Behind your appliance this is unlikely but if you were to run it through an open area that would change.

Oh wait I almost forgot I need to post a scared straight image to freak you out ummmmmm.

michael-jackson-neverland.jpg

There we go.

Do the job right or this guy will come to your house.

You don't want that do you :D?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks