Connect ABS toilet flange to ABS drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Lfforte

Reaction score
I am connecting a 3” closet flange into a 3 “ ABS drain pipe. The fitting is loose not tight. I’m afraid that if I use ABS cement it won’t seal. Is there another way other than using ABS cement? I found that Lepage Pl700 can be used fir ABS.

Cjlambert

Red-Seal Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
“Into” or “onto”? Are you using a cheater flange, that slides into the pipe? Or a regular hubbed toilet flange, that slides over the pipe?

Manufacturers state that a hubbed fitting should engage about 2/3rds of the way onto the pipe easily when dry fit (no solvent). The last 3rd of the engagement should be difficult.

How loose are we talking here? If it slides on all the way easily, and spins fairly freely, its not recommended by the manufacturer to use. But I can tell you from experience, it’ll be fine. Just be liberal with the solvent.

Either way. The only correct way to adhere an ABS fitting to ABS pipe is to use ABS solvent.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
A 3-inch inside glue-in toilet flange expect the ID to be about 3.042.

If you are using some thinner pipe, you will want to use a different flange.

Lfforte

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick replies. I am usin a 3" flange that fits inside the drain pupe. I can't use a standard 4x3 flange.

Cjlambert

Reaction score
Just want to do my due diligence - and re ask the question I already asked you. How loose are we talking here? Is there side to side play on the fitting inside the pipe? Or does it just spin easily?

Cjlambert

Reaction score
The gap is about the thickness of standard size paper

Okay. I would glue it, screw it, and put my name on it. While the “weld” the solvent is supposed to create likely won’t happen, the solvent will still fill that tiny “paper thick” gap and keep a seal. The screws to the subfloor will keep the flange in place. You’re fine, go for it.

Lfforte

Reaction score
I can turn the flange. The gap is about the thickness of standard letter size paper. If I tape a piece of paper around the flange it seems to close the gap

Lfforte

Reaction score
Okay. I would glue it, screw it, and put my name on it. While the “weld” the solvent is supposed to create likely won’t happen, the solvent will still fill that tiny “paper thick” gap and keep a seal. The screws to the subfloor will keep the flange in place. You’re fine, go for it.

Lfforte

Reaction score
Thank You. I will glue it with abs and screw it to subfloor. That's what I was think but wanted someone with more experience to cofirm it. Thank you! Just wondeting if Gorilla glue woula also do the job

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks