Condensate issues

Users who are viewing this thread

patrick2

Reaction score
I am leaning towards running a new condensate path as the cast iron vent has a lot of buildup and backs up easily - even after going it at it with a handheld power snake. I'd also like to stay within code.

I thought the bathroom sink p-trap would be a good idea but can only find a dishwasher drain branch tailpiece locally. Is that within code compliance?

Reach4

Reaction score
I did not understand the part about a cast iron vent.

But regarding condensate from your AC and furnace, I think feeding that into a branch under your lavatory is code. The branch tailpiece question would be whether it could fit your lavatory drain. Kitchen drains are usually 1.5 inch and lavatory drains are usually 1.25 inch.

Oatey 817TB-1 is a branch tailpiece.
817tb-1-3.jpg

branch-tailpiece-for-dw.jpg

https://www.oatey.com/products/dear...tailpieces-hose--clamp-slip-joint--1248824727 looks like a tailpiece extension to me, but it says tailpiece, and they are probably right.

Last edited by a moderator:

patrick2

Reaction score
I did not understand the part about a cast iron vent.

The cast iron pipe is the vent for the bathroom sink. I assume the T-fitting between the sink and the roof was part of the original build out.

That t-fitting had a cast iron p-trap (very small) and the condensate dripped into it. It looked like a kluge to me but I was told it was code. The vent-drain works if I route it out but it eventually clogs. I've tried a snake and tablets; ready to replace the whole thing.

Reach4

Reaction score
That t-fitting had a cast iron p-trap (very small) and the condensate dripped into it. It looked like a kluge to me but I was told it was code. The vent-drain works if I route it out but it eventually clogs. I've tried a snake and tablets; ready to replace the whole thing.
Interesting. How about a photo?

But also a photo of the bottom of the proposed place for the new connection under the lavatory could be useful. Show the bottom of the lavatory, the trap, and the connection to the wall.

patrick2

Reaction score
Good idea - thank you for suggesting it. This is the overview:

overview.jpg
detail.jpg
closup.jpg
sink.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
You have some strange things going on.

Starting under the lavatory, you have a saddle clamp clamped onto a place it really should not be. Is that from a reverse osmosis unit? That would normally go upstream of the trap.

At the wall, you have a trap adapter. That may be a 1.5 inch trap adapter with a washer that lets you accept a 1.25 trap. If you replaced the trap with a 1.5 inch trap, you could use a 1.5 inch trap, which has more stuff available. I am not sure what all is available.

The good news is that you have a lot of space under that lavatory for a solution.

But up in the attic, somebody may be better able to tell you what is going on up there.

patrick2

Reaction score
The sink/vanity is new, 2018 done by pros. It did look smaller than I was used to seeing but at the time we had countless remodel distractions. The attic though is 1970.

My 1970's home had the condensate drain almost connected to the cast iron p-trap spliced into a bathroom sink vent's T-fitting. There was an air gap between the condensate line and the p-trap in the attic. Guess how I found this little gem... I was told that mess was code so I just ran a line out the soffit and it worked fine for years. That constant drip bugged my wife but made the birds happy during the heatwaves. My wife was convinced it would make the foundation heave.

We replaced our HVAC system and asked the guys to configure the condensate drain to current code. They did two things I am not happy with. One, they didn't put in a p-trap in the condensate drain so the cast iron vent now sweats excessively - enough to saturate the sheet rock. The other is they ran the PVC condensate line into the bathroom vent's T-fitting and braced it with wadded up insulation - remove the insulation and the condensate PVC line pops out. They are too busy to come out and fix it. That was why I asked about running a new condensate path.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
it shouldnt tie into a vent. and whatever is spliced into the trap arm under sink get rid of. put y branch under sink yes that works perfect for condensate. Real Smart tie your A/C directly into the sewer. tell them get thier ass back and fix it tomorrow

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When the condensate trap gets to the drainage system past the p-trap, during the winter when that trap that MIGHT be in the air handler will dry out, and allow sewer gasses into the HVAC system...the condensate drain should be before a p-trap that you know won't dry out.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
When the condensate trap gets to the drainage system past the p-trap, during the winter when that trap that MIGHT be in the air handler will dry out, and allow sewer gasses into the HVAC system...the condensate drain should be before a p-trap that you know won't dry out.
absolutly! cant just hook it up to a vent

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks