Concrete on Lath Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Jmak376

Reaction score
Hello,

Redoing our master bathroom from 1962. Very thick shower surround with concrete on mental lath. I was able to chip all the tiles off and want to keep the concrete walls. They're in good shape and no signs of water damage. A stucco company was going to come in and grind down the concrete probably 1/2". Then apply a base coat, a finish colored coat and a water proofing layer.

My issue comes to replacing the diverter and valve assembly. The original 3 valve is not to code any more and I'm planning on replacing it with a Delta Universal mixing valve. I have access to the back pipes. I was planning on expanding the access panel so I can move the new valve higher in the shower. My concern is the thickness of the walls and how best to cut/ chip a hole in the concrete in order to get the proper depth for the valve and have enough room to attach the piping. How big of an opening do I need to make? I would also like to do this before stucco so I don't ruin the finish coat. Should I wait? Originally I thought drilling a 2.5" hole through the concrete for the valve to stick out then chipping out the backside for the valve assembly and piping to have room in the back. But have been reading about the plaster guard that comes with the valve. Better to cut a square all the way through?

Also these stucco guys might flake on me as they've already pushed the start date back 3 times. What would be a good way to resurface these walls? Possibly do a micro cement topping? Any ideas would be appreciated, we are going for a Midwest stucco/ Venetian plaster look. No tiles.

index.php

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The main concern with trimming out a shower valve is access to the integral shutoffs if you have them, and the screws that hold the wall plate on.

r10000-with-stops.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Depends how much dust you want to make use a grinder with diamond wheel or a roto hammer blow some holes through the permitor of the mud guard on your valve give it a 2ack with hammer and then hammer and chisel to clean up some of the jagged edges . Have your plaster guy do the patch up on the three holes

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks