Concealing ABS Vent Pipe in Kitchen Wall Cabinet - Is this okay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cai24

Reaction score
We are remodeling our kitchen and removed the soffits to get more space. We initially thought they were empty, but it turned out that an ABS vent pipe was running diagonally through the wall and into the ceiling (attic). We were originally going to see about rerouting this through the top plate, but we ran out of time. Can we conceal this pipe through the top of the kitchen cabinet? Does it have to be enclosed in something?

Also, we noticed that the drywaller did not do the best job. There are large gaps around the pipe, and I’m wondering if we should try to patch this better and possibly use fireblock sealant. I’m not sure if it’s relevant, but there is attic above. I appreciate any advice.

A45-F14-EA-BF84-44-B9-BCCA-9-CE7-E6-DF55-D0.jpg

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
You can cover it up any which way you want. That's what soffits are for. Yes you should seal that pipe penetration with fireblock. That drywall job looks like they forgot to finish it.

Reach4

Reaction score
In most homes, the attic is outside of the insulated space, and outside of the vapor barrier. You need to seal for air passage and provide insulation. I don't know about the fire block thing, but that sounds important too.

In colder climates, the vapor barrier is on the inhabited side of the insulation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks