Complete remodeling: washer and sink drain needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Roland1791

Reaction score
I hope I'm posting this questions in the right area.
I am doing a complete tear out remodel of my master bathroom. It originally had only a sink drain. I am relocating my washer and dryer from an interior laundry closet inside my home to the garage where I have built a new closet. The washer will sit on a built up floor that is highr than the master bathroom floor. I need to install a drain for both the washer and at least one sink. I had hopes of a double sinks, but since I'm not sure if even one sink with the washer is possible, I'll hold to just trying to get one sink installed with the washer drain. If a double vanity is possible, that would be fantastic.

The first picture is how the plumbing is now, but the drain is not permanently glued to the washer box. The second is a rendering of a proposed solution.

Thanks in advance for your solutions and advice.

20210425_122842.jpg

PicsArt_04-25-01.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
You want to find out if you are under IPC or UPC code. San Antonio, Houston, and Austin are UPC.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can't wet vent a washer over a sink.
The sink will need it's own vent, which can tie back in 6" above flood level, which is normally at 42"but perhaps higher as it needs to be higher than the washer box.

Roland1791

Reaction score
You can't wet vent a washer over a sink.
The sink will need it's own vent, which can tie back in 6" above flood level, which is normally at 42"but perhaps higher as it needs to be higher than the washer box.

Roland1791

Reaction score
PicsArt_04-25-10.26.32.jpg
Thank you for your response and the information you shared. Just off of what you said and somethings I've seen posted in the forums, would this be what you are talking about.

Last edited:

Roland1791

Reaction score
I found this post from 2013. If the codes haven't changed. Would this work in my situation?
washer_leet (1).jpg

My situation would be like this since I don't think it's worth the trouble of having a double vanity.
PicsArt_04-27-04.19.32.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I found this post from 2013. If the codes haven't changed. Would this work in my situation?
The codes have changed, if you are under IPC. IPC wants 3 inch to carry the drainage from a washing machine plus something else.

So what does "work" mean to you? I think what you drew used to be OK with IPC, and AFAIK is still OK with UPC. And if you asked for an exception from your code authority, there is a good chance they would permit it.

IPC has another solution, if you are under that.

Roland1791

Reaction score
"Work" in my case means: done to current code and does not involve breaking/demo of the slab. I want the work to not be a headache for any future owner. I've tried looking up the answer for you previously ask question, but can't find an answer under the county website.

Roland1791

Reaction score
The codes have changed, if you are under IPC. IPC wants 3 inch to carry the drainage from a washing machine plus something else.

So what does "work" mean to you? I think what you drew used to be OK with IPC, and AFAIK is still OK with UPC. And if you asked for an exception from your code authority, there is a good chance they would permit it.

IPC has another solution, if you are under that.

"Work" in my case means: done to current code and does not involve breaking/demo of the slab. I want the work to not be a headache for any future owner. I've tried looking up the answer for you previously ask question, but can't find an answer under the county website.

Roland1791

Reaction score
Finally got all the parts I needed and put this part of the remodel behind me, hopefully. Please excuse the electrical work. None of that has been moved yet. No working water has been put in place yet. Please be firm, but gentle with remarks.
20210510_204001 (1).jpg