Comparing Kinetico and GE AdvantaPure softeners

Users who are viewing this thread

Gayle Malone

Reaction score
In doing research, it has seemed to me that these are potentially the two best upflow water softeners. So I tried to compare efficiency and costs. Here is what I've been told for our water which is 223 PPM and 12.8 grains hardness. I've been told the GE RO system only wastes .5 gallons for each 1 gallon it produces:

annual costs assuming 3K gallons/mo Kinetico GE
regeneration every 325 gal every 2000 gal
every 3 days every 20 days
purchase price including RO $8,084 $3,130
salt/year ($4.49/40 lbs) $12 $10
water/year regeneration (gal/cost) 1440 $11 810 $6
carbon filter change outside (6-8 years) $77 $50 every 6 months
RO filters (every year) $90 $60

RO Discharge water for 60 gal/month 180 gallons $16 30 gal $3

I was totally expecting the operating efficiency of the Kinetico to be less. I realize it is probably better, takes more stuff out, but boy, what a cost difference. Does anyone have any different data or clarifications???

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
One area you have not considered, repair cost. You will NOT find any repair techs to fix your Kinetico other than an authorized Kinetico dealer. They hold onto their parts so they are not available to all water treatment dealers. That means their repair part and labor charge are higher vs a system that a lot of dealers can get repair parts for. So it's similar to the old saying, pay me now AND pay me later.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Your post is somewhat confusing as it initially discusses 2 upflow water softeners but then suddenly switches to concerns with RO wastage. Those are 2 drastically different technologies, typically utilized for different purposes.

There is much marketting hype claimed in the advertisement of various water treatment devices. Claims are often based on theorectical potential, not necessarily real world where water conditions can be vastly different than lab conditions. If you post the lab test results for your well water, or a link to your municipality water quality report, we can then offer recommendations on equipment appropriate for your specific water conditions, as well as settings so the equipment will operate as efficiently as possible.

Water softening and filter equipment most recommended on this forum is based on Fleck or Clack control valves which are reliable and offer extremely long service life but also where parts and service are easily attainable at reasonable cost. The equipment's sizing and configuration greatly dictates the efficiency realized, but that is greatly influenced by water conditions and what effect is expected.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks