Code question for vanity conversion in multi-family unit

Users who are viewing this thread

Richard Ellis

Reaction score
I'm doing a bathroom reno in my condo. The condo's look like apartments, but from a code standpoint in Texas and our AHJ, its considered a multi-family property. Mine unit is on the bottom floor, the bathroom above is identical layout.

My bathroom has a single sink. I would like to convert to a double sink. However, I am not sure if it is possible due to the way the upper unit sink drain ties in to the drain for my sink. I've attached a picture that shows how the two sinks tie together as well as the stacks in the truss space between the units.

Questions
1). Is it possible to convert my single to a dual vanity and still meet code?
2). What would be the proper fitting types to make the connections?

My thinking...
- replace/reorient the existing drain pointing left, for the left sink, using a sanitary t
- install sanitary t below where the drain from the upstairs unit connects to the drain stack for the right sink
- route the vent for the right sink up thru the wall and connect it back in to my vent stack in the truss space between the two floors, thus keeping the two vents completely separate

Thanks,

Richard

Attachments

• 20230519_161453.jpg
    20230519_161453.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 20230519_161526.jpg
    20230519_161526.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 86

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Condos arent houses Ive heard stuff like whats inside the walls arent yours etc So.... Asuming that was your house yes you can do what you propose, but I think you need hoa aproval to touch those pipes and definately a permit is required , probebly is only issued with approval of hoa . would be my guess but I have very little experiance with HOA

Richard Ellis

Reaction score
Condos arent houses Ive heard stuff like whats inside the walls arent yours etc So.... Asuming that was your house yes you can do what you propose, but I think you need hoa aproval to touch those pipes and definately a permit is required , probebly is only issued with approval of hoa . would be my guess but I have very little experiance with HOA
Thanks Jeff. Good points. It so happens I'm on the Board of the HOA and past President. I can tell you no one else on the Board has a clue about such matters, so they usually defer to me because of what I do for my day job or I'm actually willing to do some research. Regardless, I should/will get written approval. Same with permit. Any work I do requiring permitting, it gets pulled. I do that for liability reasons.

Richard Ellis

Reaction score
Shoud be code approved
Not sure I understand your post. Are you saying my proposed approach would meet code?
- or-
That I need to get the AHJ approve the plan?

Since this is my "homestead" in Texas, legally as the homeowner I can do this work w/o a permit. However, I still get permits when needed for liability reasons since it's part of a condo.

Just trying to confirm it's viable before pulling a permit.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure I understand your post. Are you saying my proposed approach would meet code?
- or-
That I need to get the AHJ approve the plan?

Since this is my "homestead" in Texas, legally as the homeowner I can do this work w/o a permit. However, I still get permits when needed for liability reasons since it's part of a condo.

Just trying to confirm it's viable before pulling a permit.
like I said a single family home no issue I think there may be an issue cutting into common piping or utilities but you seem to have your legal question answered. If I was certain Id go for it , and forget the permit since you confirmed its un nessesary.
getting a permit never makes us exempt from liabiulity here but I suppose its differant

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks