Closet Bend Details and Code References

Users who are viewing this thread

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello,

To my current understanding, a "closet bend" is a sharper than typical bend allowed for use directly under a WC to permit horizontal WC drains to be run within a fairly shallow floor framing system. So a few questions:

1) If you have extra height available for a medium or long turn quarter bend, is there any reason not to use one?

2) Is there a code section (UPC and/or IPC) that explicitly allows the sharper than typical bend directly under a WC?

3) Looking at Charlotte's plastic and cast iron catalog, the interior angle on closet bends is quite sharp, basically square (see below for pictures). So does that mean in plastic, a regular vent 90 may be used as a closet bend?

Thanks,
Wayne

Charlotte SV200 Service Weight Cast Iron Closet Bend

SV200.png

Charlotte 330 Hub x Spigot 3 x 4 Closet Bend

330.PNG

Charlotte 331 Vent Ell

331.PNG

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know I'm not the only one who knows this but I'll chime in. #1. Sweeps are commonly use under toilets in a crawl space to avoid the joist's.
#2. The drainage section of the code prohibits the the use of a 1/4 bend to be used from vertical to horizontal. they are not going to repeat themselves for every plumbing situation, that's why they keep saying, " In accordance with section …"
#3. If you compare dimension B. on charlotte 330 and dimension A on charlotte 331 you will notice the closet bend is wider.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi James,

Thanks for your responses. Some followup:

1) I think my question wasn't clear, I meant is there any reason not to use a long turn 90 right below a WC, if you have the room? Pretty sure the answer is no.

3) Thank you for prompting me to take a closer look at the numbers, and not to focus on the seeming square inside corner on the drawings. Charlottle 329 Hub x Hub 3x4 Reducing Closet Bend has an "A" measurement of ~ 3 1/16" (depending on PVC vs ABS). And a regular 3" quarter bend has a radius of 3 1/16". So in plastic, the closet bend radius seems to be very close to the quarter bend radius. Which makes it clear the vent 90 is certainly not allowed.

2) So that's my confusion, a quarter bend is prohibited for turning from vertical to horizontal, except it seems to be allowed for a closet bend. Is there some specific language I'm missing that allows that directly under a WC? I'll check again.

Cheers, Wayne

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
1) I think my question wasn't clear, I meant is there any reason not to use a long turn 90 right below a WC, if you have the room?
I answered the question with an example. :) As far as using a 1/4 bend, the orientation of it is against code but you may get away with it in some places. I'm not the almighty authority I just know how to interpret the code.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. If there is room there is no reason NOT to use a bend, but in 65 years or plumbing, I have ALWAYS used either a 4" closet bend or a 3" x 4" closet bend. NEVER a 3" or 4" 90 elbow.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Residential plumbers running plastic use 4 x3 plastic closet bends all the time but I've never seen a 4x4 hub x hub plastic closet bend. I cant imagine such a fitting having a sweep not tighter than a medium sweep

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks