Replacing lead closet bend combo

Users who are viewing this thread

sblumherm

Reaction score
I have an older home that had leaks from the old custom built lead toilet bend. The bend itself was about 14" long and was connected into the horizontal cast iron arm to the cast iron stack. Entering into the sides of the bend at roughly 45 degree angles were two lead drains from a sink (about 6' away vented in the wall the sink hangs from) and a bathtub (about 2' away with trap but no vent).

Is it allowable anymore to try to recreate this using a closet bend going into a double wye with that running into the stack arm probably using a Fernco bushing?

sblumherm-01.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you can fit a double wye in there, then yes it would work. Easier to use a 4x3 bush in the hub and come out 3" as the fittings are smaller.
How to hook up to the smaller lead pipes? Help! I have always tried to avoid the old 1920's lead piping in my career. That's something I would guess that my long passed uncle Dana may have worked with in his prime.

The sink will vent the bathroom. Is there a way to replace the rest of the the lead pipes there? Like all the way to the tub and lav?

replace_lead_bend.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its really hard to recreate what was possible in lead fittings. The most compact you can do for a replacement in that scenario is Copper DWV fittings.. but they're hard to find and expensive to work with if you mess up. I wouldn't try adapting to any lead drain, and only maybe a lead vent pipe if that was my only option.

If you used a 3x2 wye and split the 2" to catch both other fixtures, one going around the toilet, you could do that in about 12-13 from the face of the cast hub if you have a good caulking ferrule sticking out. Might be able to shorten that with a few unorthodox hacks.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
Many moons ago I connected to 1 1/2" lead in a somewhat hack but not too bad way. I tapped an 1 1/2 brass flanged tailpiece about 1 1/2" long into the lead for support then used a band to connect to the new line.

Reach4

Reaction score
That lead work in #1 looks nice and functional.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Many moons ago I connected to 1 1/2" lead in a somewhat hack but not too bad way. I tapped an 1 1/2 brass flanged tailpiece about 1 1/2" long into the lead for support then used a band to connect to the new line.

Yep. That is the only way I will connect to lead as a drain.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I USE the following fitting
4" x 4" x 2" x 2" No Hub Cast Iron Combination Reducing 45 Degree Double Wye

If you need 11/2 just get 2 x 11/2 NO HUB Couplings

IF you need a 45 DEG angle use a grinder to cut off the the end

CharlottePipe_Foundry_00290_Image1_m.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks