Cistern and Bowl Filling, then Overflow [SOLVED]

Users who are viewing this thread

Splurben

Reaction score
Right, this is strange, but I'm not a plumber.

1. Toilet flushes fine with a ⅓ of a bucket filled with water. It's not clogged.
  2. Adjacent bathtub drains fine.
  3. Cistern and bowl fill, but at the same time, but not always — this is when the toilet overflows.
  4. Flapper is intact, and doesn't leak into bowl…if I fill the cistern from a bucket, no water goes into toilet bowl.
  5. Only occasionally, when cistern is filling, both the cistern AND the bowl fill simultaneously.
  6. When the cistern and bowl fill simultaneously, the toilet overflows.
Not a plumber, but there's something here that I'm not understanding.

Here's a video to show what's happening in shocking detail:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
The fluidmaster fill valve is bad. By the looks of it remove it and replace it with a new one.

If not you remove the top part of the valve and replace the seal or diaphragm. There are plenty of u tubes videos on how to do it.
https://www.fluidmaster.com/products/toilet/fill-valves/400a-universal-fill-valve/

shopping

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm not convinced that the bowl isn't clogged somewhat. You can pour the bucket in, but try it with wadded up toilet paper and see what happens.
Even pouring the water directly into the bowl, it's looks to be a pretty poor siphon.

Does the fill valve ever shut off? The video seemed to end before we could see that.

Splurben

Reaction score
I'm not convinced that the bowl isn't clogged somewhat. You can pour the bucket in, but try it with wadded up toilet paper and see what happens.
Even pouring the water directly into the bowl, it's looks to be a pretty poor siphon.

Does the fill valve ever shut off? The video seemed to end before we could see that.
When it overflows, the fill valve doesn't shut off even when the cistern pushes the float all the way up. If I were to leave the water running until the fill valve shut off, the bowl would be overflowing. If you'll pardon the pun, it's a crappy old toilet (although the internal flush mechanism was replaced last year).

Reach4

Reaction score
If you'll pardon the pun, it's a crappy old toilet
Rather than invest more time on the old toilet, get a new modern toilet. Despite using less water, they flush better. They seldom need a plunger.

Splurben

Reaction score
The fluidmaster fill valve is bad. By the looks of it remove it and replace it with a new one.

If not you remove the top part of the valve and replace the seal or diaphragm. There are plenty of u tubes videos on how to do it.
https://www.fluidmaster.com/products/toilet/fill-valves/400a-universal-fill-valve/

shopping
This fixed it! Thank you WorthFlorida. I ended up getting

502_Package-032318.png

— spent about $12 with shipping — and everything's working perfectly now. Thank You WorthFlorida

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks