Check-valve for Moen 2400 valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Qudrcps

Reaction score
I have a circa 1970-71 condo with a Moen Bath-Sh0wer valve with a built in diverter. I assume this is the 2400 series. Being 50 years old, I'm not sure when the cartridge was last replaced, and the spool if ever.

In cleaning this up, I did put in a new diverter (amazing what it is supposed to do if not stuck), and considered replacing the cartridge and spool as well. The problem, of course, is shutting off the hot and cold water - something that was not required for the diverter.

With some effort, I was able to unfreeze the hot water stop check valve entirely. This required multiple turns to the right, after which the water did turn off. The cold however, although there were multiple turns, did not turn off. I do understand that are some check/shutoff valves that only take a 90 degree turn; these clearly are not that variety.

My questions are:
1. Have I just not turned the screw enough times (and there is some residual crud left)? (And how many turns is it supposed to take?) (After getting the valves open and closed, at least part way, I was quite surprised at the amount of white, gray and black particulate matter got flushed out...)
2. What is the part number for this of a check/shutoff valve of this vintage? (Is this a 12318?)
3. Am I looking at needing to replace the check/shut-off valve (which mean turning of the water to my entire condo stack).

Obviously, I'm not going to attempt a cartridge/spool swap if there is any chance the cold shutoff is "marginal".

Thanks in advance for thoughts.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
https://www.moen.com/shared/docs/instruction-sheets/mt659c.pdf

See the second page "stop operation". It can be full turns or 1/4 turn to open and close the stop valves depending on the valve body used.
Sorry I can't help with the rest of your questions.

moen-2400-installation.jpg

The cartridge can be either the 1200 or the 1225.

Last edited by a moderator:

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sounds like it may be stripped, not unusual if the threads are fine. I would plan on replacing the stops, if you can, and I wouldn't monkey with it until you can turn the water off to the building and have the repair parts in your hand. I have had stripped shut off screws blow out in my hand, doesn't happen often but it happened to me.

Last edited:

Qudrcps

Reaction score
After taking a break for another project, went back to this. The second time around, I got further in the turns. Both were 2¼ clockwise and both completely shut off - felt like metal to metal contact. The old cartridge was a 1225. I gently used a stainless pot scrubber on my little finger to remove what deposits were there and replaced with a thinly silicon greased 1200. Almost feels like new - not bad for 50 years.

The spool is next weekend. Used a little vinegar to start dissolving the calcium/copper salts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks