Check Valve and Gate Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Tiver43809

Reaction score
I just finished building my house, the plumber/electrician I hired wasn't all that as the saying goes. I won't go into all the issues but this one. He did not cover his trenches he said he thought I would do it with my blade on my tractor. Anyway, from the house to the septic is 95 feet. I need to use the backhoe and dig up the pit as he does not have it installed correctly and the pump itself is sitting on a huge angle, the pit is level but it seems he shorted himself with pipe and now that it is connected the front of the pump is up about 3 inches. He has the pipe going to the septic under grade until right before the septic then he has a 45 going up about 2 feet then another angle to level it off and go into the tank. I also found out that he does not have a dedicated circuit for the pump, we plugged something into a gfi on the porch and it blew the gfi which in turn shut down the pump and alarm. Finally my questions. Since I need to dig up the pit and make sure the pump sits level and put in a dedicated circuit this weekend. 1, Should the check valve be close to the pump or closer to the septic tank? 2, should I leave that rise near the septic tank or repipe and do a more gradual rise? Last where should I install a gate valve? He did not install one and from what I have read he should have. I would think that would be close to the pit in case I need to replace the pump there would be a way not to have the waste end up in my lap.
Thank you for reading my rambling question and if you need any other info please let me know.
Terry in Tennessee

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
Are you talking about a septic tank with a drain field or a sewage ejector ( lift station)? its hard to paint a picture with your description
without pictures or sketches of what your talking about. that's why no one is responding to your question.

Tiver43809

Reaction score
Are you talking about a septic tank with a drain field or a sewage ejector ( lift station)? its hard to paint a picture with your description
without pictures or sketches of what your talking about. that's why no one is responding to your question.
I was afraid I was rambling too much, the the pump is pumping to a septic tank. with a field. Grabbing some pictures. This was installed about a year ago. He never filled in the hole where the pump is. Well we got a big rain, you know how a bobber comes back up when the fish steals your bait???? So it looks really bad but I am redoing it this weekend. How it passed inspection I have NO idea.
OK, was installed about a year ago. The picture of the pump and tank shows, never backfilled, the tank popped up like a bobber. I have it held down with 2 x 4 for now until this weekend when I am going to dig it all the way back up and reinstall it so the pump sits correctly. I also will use copper tie down straps. I will also put in a shut off valve on the other side of the check valve. Then there is just a picture of the trench going to the septic tank which I am also going to back fill this weekend. Last but not last shows the 2 inch pipe with the 45 going up 2 feet to the septic tank. I will also with change that out so it is more of a gradual angle or leave it like it is what ever you guys suggest I do. I will also fix the broken tank and close it up. I did know it was busted and open like that until I went back there with the back hoe. THANK YOU for all the suggests and time reading my novels as questions.
The ONLY good thing about all this was I was able to buy that little back hoe from Harbor Freight to do the work. Works great, even in the Tennessee heavy clay.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks