Check Layout for Basement Bathroom Rough In

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeGA

Reaction score
Curious if this violates any codes and would pass inspection.

IMG_29062022_141611_(2500_x_1406_pixel).jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
This thread is a follow up to the thread here:

If the left-hand wall stub out is for a lavatory, and if the vent take off (san-tee) is within the run and fall limits for the NJ NSPC, then the layout works. The lavatory is horizontal wet venting the shower and then WC. The right hand wall stub out can be any sink or standpipe.

However, previously you stated the left hand stub out is for a laundry sink, and the right hand stub-out is for a lavatory. A laundry sink can't be used to wet vent bathroom fixtures. So in that case your shower and WC are not properly vented.

For wet venting rules, see section 12.10 of the NJ NSPC: https://epubs.iapmo.org/NSPC/NJ2018/#p=189

Cheers, Wayne

MikeGA

Reaction score

If the left-hand wall stub out is for a lavatory, and if the vent take off (san-tee) is within the run and fall limits for the NJ NSPC, then the layout works. The lavatory is horizontal wet venting the shower and then WC. The right hand wall stub out can be any sink or standpipe.

However, previously you stated the left hand stub out is for a laundry sink, and the right hand stub-out is for a lavatory. A laundry sink can't be used to wet vent bathroom fixtures. So in that case your shower and WC are not properly vented.

For wet venting rules, see section 12.10 of the NJ NSPC: https://epubs.iapmo.org/NSPC/NJ2018/#p=189

Cheers,

Cheers, Wayne
Hi Wayne,

I ripped everything off and restarted taking your recommendations. A few things:

1. The left hand wall stub out is for a standard 24" laundry sink. Using my layout, what would fix this issue?
2. You are correct, my goal was to wet vent the shower and the WC. The right hand wall stub out rises to a dry vent.

MikeGA

Reaction score

Cheers, Wayne
One other thing for clarification...not sure if it makes a difference, but the washer and dryer will NOT be located here. The left stub out will be used for a slop sink? Wondering whats the difference when you mention that the stub out will work for a lavatory, but not for a laundry sink.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, I'm not sure on the difference between a lavatory and a slop sink. Will the slop sink be in the bathroom, or in a separate room?

If in the bathroom, and you call it a lavatory, and it's plausibly a lavatory, what you have now is fine. If it's outside the bathroom, and it's not plausibly a lavatory, then you aren't allowed to use it for horizontal wet venting. It's a regulatory distinction, perhaps based on the idea that the flow pattern from a lavatory will be different from other sinks, or perhaps without a technical justification.

If it's not a lavatory, then I gave a few options in the previous thread. E.g. the one below, where Green =1-1/2" dry vent, Blue = 2" drain, and White = existing pipes I erased. I routed the slop sink drain around the outside of the shower in order to avoid crossing the shower dry vent. But if you have room in the wall framing for the crossing, that would be a more direct path and avoid any additional concrete removal. The vented slop sink drain can connect anywhere except upstream of point A.

Cheers, Wayne

IMG_29062022_141611_(2500_x_1406_pixel).jpg

MikeGA

Reaction score
Yes, I'm not sure on the difference between a lavatory and a slop sink. Will the slop sink be in the bathroom, or in a separate room?

If in the bathroom, and you call it a lavatory, and it's plausibly a lavatory, what you have now is fine. If it's outside the bathroom, and it's not plausibly a lavatory, then you aren't allowed to use it for horizontal wet venting. It's a regulatory distinction, perhaps based on the idea that the flow pattern from a lavatory will be different from other sinks, or perhaps without a technical justification.

If it's not a lavatory, then I gave a few options in the previous thread. E.g. the one below, where Green =1-1/2" dry vent, Blue = 2" drain, and White = existing pipes I erased. I routed the slop sink drain around the outside of the shower in order to avoid crossing the shower dry vent. But if you have room in the wall framing for the crossing, that would be a more direct path and avoid any additional concrete removal. The vented slop sink drain can connect anywhere except upstream of point A.

Cheers, Wayne

View attachment 84633
OK, so basically, its just a code thing...theoretically, from a DWV perspective, it should work. I can also get it inspected and see if the inspector will pass me on it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks