Change Kitchen to Softened on PEX

Users who are viewing this thread

Dvid

Reaction score
New construction. Plumber put kitchen sink and icemaker on unsoftened. We'd like the softened just as a matter of preference. He wants $60 to change them to the softened lines on the PEX block.

Is this something I can do myself by just shutting off the water to those lines, using a wrench to unscrew the connections and re-screwing them to the softened block and opening up those lines? I have enough slack in the two lines.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dvid

Reaction score
Yes, it's that easy.
I suppose Plumber just wants to cover his travel time/costs.
By the way, do I need to shorten the white tubes for those two lines if I move them up or just loop them higher and leave the slack in them for flexibility if they ever have to move back to unsoftened?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I'm not sure what is used on the end of that PEX line. Is it a compression fitting with a ferrule , or a crimped on connector, etc.? It may require a special tool to cut the line and reattach the end. So, IMO, unless someone else knows, I would just keep the line as is and just move it to the top manifold.

Reach4

Reaction score
Would someone please explain softened and unsoftened to me? Reach 4 where are you?
Ice cubes? I don't know what the effect would be. Maybe they would be clearer. I know that ice cubes made with RO water are clearer. Making coffee etc with softened water will keep the unit from liming up.

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks, Reach. I thought they were talking about the Pex. He didn't say softened WATER. If we're softening the pipe now, I really need to know.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks, Reach. I thought they were talking about the Pex. He didn't say softened WATER. If we're softening the pipe now, I really need to know.

You do soften poly pipe with heat when fitting that onto a barb.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks