chamfer tool, is it required?

Users who are viewing this thread

bubbameetze

Reaction score
I have been looking high and low around town for a chamfer tool, for all of the CPVC instructions that tell you about the steps involved in putting together CPVC pipe it states to bevel the pipe with a pipe chamfer tool. However I go to all of these different places where they have the plumbing stuff and ask for this tool and noone seems to know what I am talking about. I realize that I have read that you can use a knife to do the same thing. However I figured that this tool would allow you to do it better and right, given it should be beveling the pipe at a correct angle. I've almost given up on trying to find this thing cause it appears that noone uses it given that noone at the plumbing stores or hardware stores knows what I am talking about.

And in plumbing stores I am not talking about a lowes or home depot. I went to a real store, like your jimmy joe bob's plumbing supply store.

I've seem them online for sale, but it seems kind of ridiculous to have to pay shipping on something that is about 8 bucks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sharkbite fittings have a champher tool; HD sells them. Have you looked there? It is highly recommended when using their fittings to make sure you don't damage the internal o-rings. It's nice on plain fittings, but I don't know about required. Removing the curve that a tubing cutter can create on a cut end is important to remove.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Ridgid makes a nice inner/outer reamer tool. If you can't find one locally at a supply house, then why not bite the bullet and buy one over the internet? You'd probably have it in a week.

bubbameetze

Reaction score
Holy crap. That is it. I guess next time I go over there I need to take this print out to see if they actually have it. I will go look around the other pipe as you mentioned. I have been looking around the pvc/cpvc pipe cause I figured that was where it should be. Of course my luck I will get the standard response, lowes.com isn't the same as the lowes store, they have things on there that we don't have in the store. I ran into that when I was trying to buy a live trap for my squirrel problem. Thanks a bunch.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Holy crap. That is it. I guess next time I go over there I need to take this print out to see if they actually have it. I will go look around the other pipe as you mentioned. I have been looking around the pvc/cpvc pipe cause I figured that was where it should be. Of course my luck I will get the standard response, lowes.com isn't the same as the lowes store, they have things on there that we don't have in the store. I ran into that when I was trying to buy a live trap for my squirrel problem. Thanks a bunch.
If you search for "reamer" on lowes.com, it pops up right away. Print that page and take it to a lowes.store, and they may be able to locate it by SKU. I bought mine there a couple of years ago -- it's nowhere near the CPVC.

Last edited:

bubbameetze

Reaction score
Hey thanks, I took the printout of the page, they didn't have it in stock but the guy did a special order and it came to my house yesterday.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I had one !!!!!

When we first started doing PVC pipe back in the
60s, we actually were told to use one of those

for the yellow GENOVA pipe....

they said it was necessary,

that lasted about a month and the tool was pitched....

it is a total joke of a tool, you dont need it

unless you are one of those guys that likes to see tools hanging above your tool bench....