Centering drain and fixtures

Users who are viewing this thread

WHx

Reaction score
Hi there - new member posting!

I am planning my bathroom remodel. I will replace an integral shower/tub unit with a shower base that is wider. The drain will move for sure. I would like the fixtures to be aligned with the new drain. What is the best way to re-route the supply lines? I am thinking to install shut off valves about 4” above the base. Do I just angle over to the side from there and go straight up? Any thoughts and help would be much appreciated. Also, I am thinking to go with CPVC above the valves.

Many thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
To recenter the valve you start by cutting the valve out and placing it on the new center. Then whatever it takes to make the connections to the new location.
Are the shutoffs going to be accessible afterwards with a panel?

WHx

Reaction score
To recenter the valve you start by cutting the valve out and placing it on the new center. Then whatever it takes to make the connections to the new location.
Are the shutoffs going to be accessible afterwards with a panel?

Hi Terry,

thanks for replying. My question wasn't well phrased. I guess (hope) I know how to align valves on a wall. I was looking for advice on how to do the connections. I did do some googling over the weekend and it looks as PEX might be the best way to go. If I understand the philosphy behind PEX correctly, the idea is to minimize the number of connections behind walls. Which makes me re-think the shutoff valves. Shouldn't it be possible to 'shutoff' of PEX line by clamping it? (Like kinking a gardenhose?) Does anyone make something like that? What would be your preference to connect the copper pipe to PEX? And yes, I would put an access panel there. It would be located in a closet.

Many thanks,

Reach4

Reaction score
Shouldn't it be possible to 'shutoff' of PEX line by clamping it? (Like kinking a gardenhose?)
Do not consider that. Pex is stiffer than most garden hoses.

If you want stop valves, they should be accessible. They could be through the panel on the other side of the wall. The stop valves could be earlier in the path. Some shower/bath valves have built-in stop valves accessible from the front behind a plate. They let you change cartridges without shutting off the water more widely.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks