Cavitation due to Check Valve Location?

Users who are viewing this thread

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Valveman- Could that ball valve be a possible source of a restriction?

Anything is possible. But I usually find restrictions right at the discharge of the tank for some reason. If you have an air compressor you could blow air back towards the storage tank. If the air pressure just builds up, you have something stuck in the line. If air blows on through it may blow out whatever is causing the restriction.

Reach4

Reaction score
I was thinking of monitoring the existing pressure gauge at the pressure switch that is looking at the output pressure. But if that gauge is out of easy earshot from the pump, and you don't want to use transceivers, then a new gauge will be useful.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Since you cut the pump out, put it back in with unions and a real brass or SS check valve, not plastic from home depression stores. Some of those plastic ballvalves are surprisingly durable, but if you are re-doing the whole set up, go for a brass one. Apollo is a good brand if available.

I really think you need a valve on that "priming" tee. Then you can prove air or water easily as the pump tries to make pressure, and use it to release air. If you keep getting air out of the valve, you have suction side leak. How can you have this setup without a pressure gauge? Should have always been one at the tank outlet and the pressure switch. I would have said it's time for a pro, but since you were able to get the pump apart, you must be pretty sharp. There are simply some nuances to pump work that take a lot of time to learn. But you are in a good spot to pick those up right here!

PrescottGirl

Life in the mountains is a life well lived.
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'm in a small town where Home Depression or the blue store are about it. I'm going to leave work early and grab more supplies including guages and a valve for the discharge side tonight. So frustrating that this all started because I wanted to repair a TINY crack in the discharge pipe. UGH#%?! You guys are all awesome for patiently guiding me through this.

PrescottGirl

Life in the mountains is a life well lived.
Reaction score
And I do have a cheap compressor from Harbor Fr. I'll give it a try. I have a big shop vac too if trying to suck out the restriction is possible?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks