Cast iron Tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Tex13

Reaction score
I'm having my bath remodeled and unfortunately had to fire the 1st contractor. So it's complicated...
My new contractor uses a different plumber

20171130_222357.jpg
20171128_234315.jpg

, who bills separately.
His charge to install a Kohler Bellwether castiron tub (I bought the tub) in an alcove (ground floor-single story, slab foundation in Dallas Ft Worth TX) is
$1,336.00. I checked HomeAdvisers & Homwyse which estimate the charge for castiron tubs, at less than
$ 600.00.
I don't know what the right price should be, can you please help me out?

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. HIS price to install the tub, is what he wants to charge, and it has NOTHING to do with HomeAdvisors or Homewyse. If that is what they charge, have THEM install the tub, but it would probably have to be AFTER the current contractors are finished.

Tex13

Reaction score
1. HIS price to install the tub, is what he wants to charge, and it has NOTHING to do with HomeAdvisors or Homewyse. If that is what they charge, have THEM install the tub, but it would probably have to be AFTER the current contractors are finished.
Thank you, yes I wondered about the issue w scheduling . He also wants to descale my cast-iron drains, but the price is 1,700.00; much higher than other companies.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Before starting, you need more than one bid. You need to compare apples to apples. And bids have to clearly state what is going to be done. Not clear? ask questions.

Pay attention, this is business.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
However, many contractors will NOT let you bring in your own tradesman, until HE has finished his work. Which is often too late and involves extra expenses which CAN make the price MORE than what was quoted by the original subcontractor, (and they know it which is why they can overquote "extra work".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I run into it all the time when someone leases a space in a building under construction, and has to deal with the contractor's subcontractors when he wants to "upgrade" before the contractor installs something and is told to either wait until it is done or pay the subcontractor's price for the upgrade, (which may not include an allowance for work he does not have to in order to upgrade).