Cast Iron to PVC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Victorr

Reaction score
Hello, I am redoing the drain for my bathtub and I encountered this. This rubber thing connect to what I think is cast iron to my PVC tub drain. Can I just remove the PVC assembly shown in the picture and install a new PVC pipe into the rubber thing? If yes, do I just pull the PVC assembly from the rubber thing?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you,

Victor

Attachments

• IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I think what you have on top is a PVC trap adapter. You may be able to put the slip pipe into that trap adapter if the diameter (1.5 inch?) matches with your new drain piping. For slip piping, I thing the trap should be accessible.

Can you put a new pipe into the rubber instead of the existing pipe that mounts the trap adapter now? I would think so, but I don't know.

I am not a plumber.

Victorr

Reaction score
I think what you have on top is a PVC trap adapter. You may be able to put the slip pipe into that trap adapter if the diameter (1.5 inch?) matches with your new drain piping. For slip piping, I thing the trap should be accessible.

Can you put a new pipe into the rubber instead of the existing pipe that mounts the trap adapter now? I would think so, but I don't know.

I am not a plumber.

Hey Reach, thanks for the reply!

The trap adapter is broken or rusted, I can't tight it. I want to remove the PVC trap adapter that goes into that rubber thing to just put a 1.5" PVC pipe that would fit in my new tub drain kit, but I am not sure how to do it, do I just pull?. Don't want to break anything!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That looks to be a rubber insert into a cast iron hub with PVC stuck down it. You should be able to pull that out and insert a new piece.

Victorr

Reaction score
That looks to be a rubber insert into a cast iron hub with PVC stuck down it. You should be able to pull that out and insert a new piece.

Hey Terry, thanks for the reply.

It is indeed a rubber insert into a cast iron hub, I was able to remove the PVC, but am wondering if I should replace the rubber insert or just put back a PVC pipe. Do you know how long these rubber insert usually last? The house is 40 years old.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Victor

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Lube it up with WD40 and it might pull out easily... you dont want to mess up that rubber gasket...
you might have to cut it out from the inside with a hack saw blade if it dont budge..... You will probably have to beat
the new pipe into the socket with a hammer... make the new pipe longer than you need so you can cut off the end...