Cast Iron or Bronze Circulation Pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

type@uwm.edu

Reaction score
Hi--
I'm advising my plumber re pump model choice for water circulation in a closed-loop system for radiant floor heating using a masonry heater. We're looking at the Taco 007 series. One pump will used for the storage tank- heater loop (copper pipe, ~7gpm) and two pumps will be used for the upper and lower floor radiant heating loops. All are closed systems. My water has some iron content. The efficiency of the two pumps looks very similar. Is there an advantage with using a bronze or cast iron pump like longevity or ease of repair? Thanks for your suggestions! Rob

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A bronze pump would be required where potable water was involved. In a properly maintained closed heating system, fairly quickly all of the free oxygen is purged from the system so the cast iron pump is fine - no oxygen, no rust. If you have leaks and are constantly adding water, it can be a problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks