Cast Iron Hub leak..concrete slab?

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumbingwoes

Reaction score
Hi,

So I own a house that was built in 1978(?). From what I can tell all above ground plumbing is PVC. A few days ago in my kitchen I noticed a bit of moisture in the cabinet below my sink. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from but it was clear it was coming out of the wall. I ripped a part of my wall out and this is what I see:

20180912_150117.jpg

I've never dealt with stuff like this before so I looked online and the best I can come up with is a Cast Iron Hub to PVC? It's the rusted looking pipe below the white PVC pipe. There is a hole in the middle where water is leaking out. What is this?

First of all does this mean my sewer line is likely not PVC? Kinda of surprised considering the house was built in the mid 70s.

What are my options here?

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are some places that want cast in the ground and let you do PVC above. You look to have a pin hole in the cast. Maybe you can get by with some Silicone for a while on that. Or perhaps a rubber patch with a stainless hose clamp.

pizzamonger

Reaction score
If it has that hole there, what are the chances it has a hole on the underside, or further down the line? Is it possible some water dripping onto the pipe right there has speed up the corrosion process?

Reach4

Reaction score
I've never dealt with stuff like this before so I looked online and the best I can come up with is a Cast Iron Hub to PVC? It's the rusted looking pipe below the white PVC pipe. There is a hole in the middle where water is leaking out. What is this?

Dang. So house on a crawl space? If there are other similar houses in the neighborhood, ask a long time resident if he is aware of others having had a similar problem.

Tough problem. Patch initially, but still inquire.

S

Seinfeld

Dang. So house on a crawl space? If there are other similar houses in the neighborhood, ask a long time resident if he is aware of others having had a similar problem.

The title says slab not crawlspace? May I ask; why if you are not a plumber are you on this forum answering all these questions?

MKS

Reaction score
The title says slab not crawlspace? May I ask; why if you are not a plumber are you on this forum answering all these questions?
Because he has very good critical thinking skills.
Has a great deal of life experience.
Likes to help people.
Has a strong interest in plumbing.

Plumbingwoes

Reaction score
Looks like cast iron to me. And it looks like it's done. Disclaimer: I am not a professional.

Yeah, so I figured :(

There are some places that want cast in the ground and let you do PVC above. You look to have a pin hole in the cast. Maybe you can get by with some Silicone for a while on that. Or perhaps a rubber patch with a stainless hose clamp.

Thank you for your response, Terry.

Was thinking the same thing. What if I use SteelStik Epoxy Putty in the mean time? Or would Silicone be better?

Plumbingwoes

Reaction score
If it has that hole there, what are the chances it has a hole on the underside, or further down the line? Is it possible some water dripping onto the pipe right there has speed up the corrosion process?

It's possible I suppose. I tried looking around the pipe for other possible leaks and I could not find any. I've always heard that if it's rusting on the outside it's probably much worse on the inside. Personally It would be a good thing if it was rusting from another pipe dripping on it. At least I could patch it up and get a little more life out of the pipe.

It's a concrete slab. The picture is from underneath the kitchen sink, behind the wall, after ripping it up.

I don't talk to my neighbors but maybe I'll give it a go. I know over the years I've seen people call out the plumber to do some drain auguring. I've also had drain issues, but only in the kitchen. What's weird is that my main service line is PVC. I wonder if the previous owners rerouted the whole house to PVC, except for the kitchen?

It still blows my mind why they would use cast iron in the late 70s but only for the sewer.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks