Cast Iron Hub broke just below concrete floor/foundation

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Probably a common problem DIYers have when trying to switch out CI to PVC but I was digging out the lead from the hub and the pipe snapped just below the concrete. I cleared out around the pipe for a better image.
Advice on how to proceed?

(Also included a picture of inside the pipe because it looks pretty rusted out, although no known or suspected leaks.)

Attachments

• 20210817_091158.jpg
    20210817_091158.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 20210817_091221.jpg
    20210817_091221.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 20210817_110755.jpg
    20210817_110755.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 20210817_120837.jpg
    20210817_120837.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 141

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have to get some good workable pipe exposed. This may necessitate breaking more concrete. Then you can get a no hub band (one that's approved to be buried) or a fernco onto the section of pipe and be ready to attach pvc. I know of no other way.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
looks like it was hub to hub try to get that out . you try to find a good connection and dig till you get good pipe.
Of course getting all that old pipe is preferred . but I don't know what else is on the line or how much work it is to replace all that old pipe . or how far you should take it but hopefully outside the building. it might be ok hooking back up below floor but this is not new pipe its old and in not good condition. I wouldn't expect 50 more years out of it. but who knows?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I use drill bits to drill out the lead, and then pry it out with a flat blade screw driver. When I have the lead pried out, remove the oakum below that can clean up the hub.
You can then insert a rubber donut there, and then push in a new pipe, using some lubrication so it slips in easier. You can tap it in using a block of wood.

fernco_hub_4.jpg

index.php

index.php

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Kevin, drilling should be easier on the hub then digging the lead out. drill a bunch of holes through the lead all the way around.

Reaction score
Oh my! It is another hub! There is so much buildup on it that I thought it was some sort of rounded bulby joint that I've never seen. Embarrassing.:oops:

The pipe is dead center of my house and it goes straight out to the city's sewer lines. Would love to rip it out and replace it but that's not in my budget at the moment.

Will drill out the lead, remove the oakum, clean up the inside, slip on the donut, and connect. Wrap the PVC in stuff (will research what to use later) and concrete around it. Thank you for your time everyone!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Oh my! It is another hub! There is so much buildup on it that I thought it was some sort of rounded bulby joint that I've never seen. Embarrassing.:oops:

The pipe is dead center of my house and it goes straight out to the city's sewer lines. Would love to rip it out and replace it but that's not in my budget at the moment.

Will drill out the lead, remove the oakum, clean up the inside, slip on the donut, and connect. Wrap the PVC in stuff (will research what to use later) and concrete around it. Thank you for your time everyone!
Yea Kevin actually another hub right there might be a good thing! easy to get too. we use a foam wrap around the pipe you could substitute, some of that sheet packing foam would be great something with a little give to it for any expansion contraction .
I get it no one really wants to tear up a floor to replace a pipe you can't see especially a drain unlike a water line all rusty making orange water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks