Can't Replace Gasket in Tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Michele Lish

Reaction score
I have an old tub that may or may not have leaked... long story. Because I thought it was a water leak from this tub, I removed the drain flange, cleaned all the old hard putty around the drain hole and the threads of the flange (which should not have needed to be cleaned, but someone put putty on the threads), but I see the gasket wedged in place and can't get to it to replace it. I do not know if it is leaking from there but it is probably very old and definitely not as pliable as it once was. Nor can I easily get the old one out and replace it because the ceiling below this tub is finished. Can I use anything to help seal this area at the gasket? I imagine whatever I use would be just a minimal amount so as to not interfere with threading the flange back in, but I am wary of putting anything like silicone or plumbers putty there. I also noticed that the gasket is slightly out of round as there is a small space where I can see part of the top surface of the drain shoe. I'm just hot sure whether on not that is off-set enough to actually cause a leak. Most other posts discussed replacing the flange, which I can easily do, but I couldn't find any reference to replacing the gasket without a major tear-out of the plumbing for the drain. Maybe another option is to "soften" up the gasket with some sort of spray?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes you can push down on the shoe and gain some room. That being said, anything you do can disturb the existing. Most of the time, I'm cutting the ceiling below for access if I'm replacing the drain assembly. Removing and reinstalling the flange can often be done successfully from the tub side. Normally a good washer and some putty under the flange is all I do. The flange clamps the rubber washer between the tub and the shoe. I have used Silicone as a last resort.

Michele Lish

Reaction score
OMG, plumber69, thank you. I moved things out of the bedroom closet which is behind the tub and low and behold, there is an access panel... albeit I had to unscrew some boards and pull out the tongue and groove slats, but voila, I can see the drain pipes. Not a sign of any water stains in the area below the tub. Thankfully it is bone dry, and here I was without the use of that tub for a while now. Should have done this research earlier and found this site. I'm now putting back the flange since despite the age of the gasket, it hasn't been leaking. I'm going to buy some water sensors for my house since it has had way too many leaks in the past, and I want an early warning system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks