Can’t get Toto clean

Users who are viewing this thread

Jnb11

Reaction score
I installed a Toto toilet during a reno about 8 years ago and it’s been impossible to keep it clean. The very bottom of the bowl is rough and you can’t brush it clean. I’ve tried the recommended cleaning products, draining it and using a toothbrush to clean it to no avail. There is a perpetual brown ring stain. Getting ready to renovate again—is this Toto salvageable or do I need a new one? And can I trust Toto again? Any advice?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I soak the bowl with Dawn dishwashing detergent. Seems to loosen things up. I also use a nylon bristle brush which is pretty easy on the finish.
I would definitely give it some soaking time.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I have that a similar symptom of crusty scale buildup. I can get it to dissolve with CLR after evacuating all the water out of the bowl.
I also get ok results with Muriatic Acid. But that is a dangerous chemical not for use w/o major knowledge of chemical handling and protection.
But the scale comes back.
I have a different Toto back to back with that one than never develops scale. And an Am. Std. one that never develops scale.
I think that replacing is a good bet.
Many toilets available have a special finish available which can be called things like EverClean, or Cifonet and they are molecularly superior to plain porcelain, so consider that in your upgrade.
Toto as all mfrs now, has some good flushing toilets and some not so good.
MaP Testing site is the top resource for checking on good flushing, aside from Terry Love's excellent list.
The cheapest good flush around is Toto's Entrada. Best to buy from a local plumbing supply dealer.

Jnb11

Reaction score
I soak the bowl with Dawn dishwashing detergent. Seems to loosen things up. I also use a nylon bristle brush which is pretty easy on the finish.
I would definitely give it some soaking time.
Thanks tried this. It didn’t reduce the brown stain at all. Ready to give up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 181

Jnb11

Reaction score
I have that a similar symptom of crusty scale buildup. I can get it to dissolve with CLR after evacuating all the water out of the bowl.
I also get ok results with Muriatic Acid. But that is a dangerous chemical not for use w/o major knowledge of chemical handling and protection.
But the scale comes back.
I have a different Toto back to back with that one than never develops scale. And an Am. Std. one that never develops scale.
I think that replacing is a good bet.
Many toilets available have a special finish available which can be called things like EverClean, or Cifonet and they are molecularly superior to plain porcelain, so consider that in your upgrade.
Toto as all mfrs now, has some good flushing toilets and some not so good.
MaP Testing site is the top resource for checking on good flushing, aside from Terry Love's excellent list.
The cheapest good flush around is Toto's Entrada. Best to buy from a local plumbing supply dealer.
Thanks for the great info and advice! Even with extensive cleaning I can’t get rid of this stain.This photo is after trying Dawn and then CLR and scrubbing with a toothbrush.

image.jpg

It’s disgusting. Will refer to your advice in getting a new toilet—won’t go with Toto.

Reach4

Reaction score
If it might be iron, you could try a strong paste of Iron Out.

IO10N.jpg

Pumie brand pumice stick may be what works. I understand that you are not supposed to use that on the Sanigloss, but I have -- after trying an assortment of chemicals.

pumie-scouring-stick.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jnb11

Reaction score
If it might be iron, you could try a strong paste of Iron Out.

Pumie brand pumice stick may be what works. I understand that you are not supposed to use that on the Sanigloss, but I have -- after trying an assortment of chemicals.
Thanks! I'll give it a try--I've got nothing to lose at this point!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks