Can't get drip to stop

Users who are viewing this thread

jma1969

Reaction score
While attempting to fix a dripping shower faucet, I first had to turn off the water using the built-in shutoff valve. Then I got out my shower faucet socket using the 29/32 & 31/32 combo socket. None seemed to be the right size. 29/32 was too small. 31/32 was too loose and slipped when tried to undo the valve. Could there be a 15/16 size? Please let me know. I then had to turn back on the valve. Now theres a small drip that I couldn't seem to stop. One drip every 3 sec. How do I stop it. It looks like I would need some sort of key to fit into a notch to tighten up the pack if there is one. Does anyone know?

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
I assume that you replaced the washer on the end of the valve, and it is still dripping.
Did you replace the valve seat, too? It may be corroded and pitted, causing a drip even with a new washer. If it has a square or hex opening, there is an inexpensive valve seat tool that you can get to remove and replace the valve seat, or you can use a large enough Allen wrench. Try that.
Good Luck!
Mike

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
What kind of faucet are we talking about.
Need more info to be able to help you

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Those valves seldom have packing nuts. They use a stem "O" ring for sealing. Possibly you can stop the drip by trying to open the valve a bit more to backseat it. You may have a Price Pfister valve. If so, some replacement seats were undersized so the correct socket does not remove them. Sometimes you have to slide a thin screwdriver between the socket and valve to get a grip.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks