Can this tool really cut cast iron?

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
My understanding of how it works is that you don't actually run continuous circles around the pipe as one would with a single wheel cutter. The tool just applies pressure at multiple points to break the pipe.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Because there are cutting wheels on both sides you only need to rotate the cutter from side to side and not all the way around, it"s good for tight spaces. you"ll need the correct cutting wheels for cast iron.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Never heard of a pittsburg #2 Check with H.F. . and this cutter from toledo tool sure does not look like its for cast iron either. No way would I buy that cutter without further investigation. Im not a know it all , been in this trade a long time but never used something like that on Cast

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
No the Pittsburgh no. 2 pipe will NOT work on CI

Yes the Toledo Pipe H4S 2"-4" Heavy Duty Hinged will work with the correct cutting wheels

So will a grinder work as well as a snap sutter 206 or 246

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Grinder or chop saw is an ok substitute. So the Toledo works anyone used that befor? Would it be worth using on a bench or jackstand? or better off with angle grinder?

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Thanks, for the info. I'm looking at it more from the DIY perspective, a chain cutter is around 500 which isn't worth it for the amount of use I'd get out of it. I could use the wheel type cutter in the house while the kids are around, or after a beer or two, and not worry about an accident with the grinder, or sparks and iron filings going all over the place, or neighbors complaining that I'm using power tools at 2am. I don't know if it would have a place in a pro's toolbox. At 150+ for the tool, and 70 or so for a set of the CI cutting wheels, it's not so cheap, perhaps a real plumber would just spring for the chain cutter.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks, for the info. I'm looking at it more from the DIY perspective, a chain cutter is around 500 which isn't worth it for the amount of use I'd get out of it. I could use the wheel type cutter in the house while the kids are around, or after a beer or two, and not worry about an accident with the grinder, or sparks and iron filings going all over the place, or neighbors complaining that I'm using power tools at 2am. I don't know if it would have a place in a pro's toolbox. At 150+ for the tool, and 70 or so for a set of the CI cutting wheels, it's not so cheap, perhaps a real plumber would just spring for the chain cutter.

I use chain snaps all the time but work for a company . I do my own work as well but dont own a cutter I use a grinder but you are right noisy at 2 am and a bit messy. Most residential plumbing is plastic. No idea what as a DIY owner you would want to pay 500 or even 100 for a cutter. are you going to be cutting cast iron once in a lifetime or many? Im not sure the 220 dollars plus tax shipping? worth it for a pro either or if this tool works that well either. If it really worked good Im guessing we would all own one. Cant you ever work normal hours? you can rent snap cutters Just a heads up sometimes old cast iron crushes into pieces when attempting to cut.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How much CI do you need to cut? If it's one or a few, I've rented one from a tool rental company for cheap.

Note, though, that if your old CI is kind of corroded, using a snap cutter COULD crush it rather than snap it where you want. Plus, you can't easily or often successfully cut a short ring off of the end of a pipe to shorten it. A grinder can, though.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
How much CI do you need to cut? If it's one or a few, I've rented one from a tool rental company for cheap.

Note, though, that if your old CI is kind of corroded, using a snap cutter COULD crush it rather than snap it where you want. Plus, you can't easily or often successfully cut a short ring off of the end of a pipe to shorten it. A grinder can, though.
Thanks jadnashua. Renting is surely an option, but as a weekend warrior, I tend to buy my materials and tools in advance, and work when I find time. If I get the kids to bed, I might have a few hours to chip away at a project, but I wouldn't usually want make two round trips to the home depot 45 minutes away to rent and return a tool. Surely I could organize a day when I cut all the cast iron pieces, but then if a made a mistake it's another 3 hours in the truck to get the tool back.

At 150 plus 70 dollars for a set of wheels I think I'd want to be sure it did the job, and the wheels would last more than 3 cuts. I kinda wish it could cut smaller pipes, as I have never needed to cut a 2 inch steel pipe, only cast. But I have the 20 dollar Pittsburg no. 2 that works great on steel. It would likely make quick work of PVC, but there's lot's of tools for that.

Well we'll see. If I decide to buy the tool, I'll definitely post back on what it's like to work with. If it it did work well, I think it would make cast iron more DIY friendly.

Reach4

Reaction score
It would likely make quick work of PVC, but there's lot's of tools for that.
I thought that a steel-cutting pipe cutter would be good for pvc, but it kinda smashed the pvc pipe. I normally cut my pvc on the table saw.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So does a tool like in the OP actually use wheels that cut into the cast iron with rotation, or does it end up being a 4 point compression that cracks the cast iron?

Cheers, Wayne

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
So does a tool like in the OP actually use wheels that cut into the cast iron with rotation, or does it end up being a 4 point compression that cracks the cast iron?

Cheers, Wayne
I suspect it is a combination of the two. The problem with a single wheel cutter is that it is likely to cut a spiral (like threads) due to the uneven surface the rollers go over.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score

Cheers, Wayne
My guess wayne is it scores it partly and then cracks on the score. Old school you can chisel a line go around the pipe eventualy it breaks . I cant see the cutter cutting very deep . But never used such tool myself. Sounded like maybe Sylvan knew something about it? or someone else?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks