Best way to cut this cast iron pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The rep basically said that would be a much stronger connection.
Be that as it may, it is a technical violation of the UPC to use the 1056 (RC or not) above grade. It is listed to ASTM C1173, which is for underground use, and UPC 705.10 limits them to underground use.

The usual ASTM C1460 fittings for above ground use are like the Proflex, 1" long sockets on each end, with a stop. You might be able to find an ASTM C1461 fitting that is listed for both above ground and underground use; I've never seem them, but maybe they are available longer like the 1056 coupling.

If you want to be a perfectionist and square up the end of your cut, then like Fitter30 suggested, use a band clamp (hose clamp) around the outside to define a cut line transverse to the central axis, and use an angle grinder or saw to pare back the cast iron to the band clamp around the full perimeter.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I still think you got a good cut its cast iron plumbing . But I think thier bands 3005-44 sucks for this type of pipe and never should have been legal. look how out of round it is with that short cheezy coupling its not the cut that is bad

KiviP

Reaction score
I still think you got a good cut its cast iron plumbing . But I think thier bands 3005-44 sucks for this type of pipe and never should have been legal. look how out of round it is with that short cheezy coupling its not the cut that is bad
Oh that is a random clamp i got just to use as a guide when I was cutting. Cut went off a bit due tight space and me trying to avoid hitting the drywall below

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks