Can the toilet wye 45 be connected at the top (90 degrees) in a wet vented bathroom?

Users who are viewing this thread

jbradley2093

Reaction score
The code diagrams show the wye connections directly on the side, however this will not work for my needs. The photo shows the toilet drain and represents what I'm talking about.

This is a diy (permitted) bathroom install in an old house. I appreciate your time and input, it's greatly appreciated. My area uses the Michigan 2015 code.

Thank you

**I have found answers myself to the other questions I had in this post originally**

Attachments

• IMG_20230322_214209533_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230322_214209533_HDR.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Shower trap is definitely NO. If you are trying to do horizontal wet venting, read all the pertinent code, look at all the images online. Best to have a plumber at least consult for all your issues. There is way more to know than we can teach you online in a few posts. There are so many ways to go wrong and so many mistakes to make.
Your inspector is not going to teach you either...and they often have poor training.

jbradley2093

Reaction score
Shower trap is definitely NO. If you are trying to do horizontal wet venting, read all the pertinent code, look at all the images online. Best to have a plumber at least consult for all your issues. There is way more to know than we can teach you online in a few posts. There are so many ways to go wrong and so many mistakes to make.
Your inspector is not going to teach you either...and they often have poor training.
Thank you for the response. Unfortunately I cannot find a plumber willing to consult for a fee - I have an HVAC guy and Electrician doing so, but have struck out with plumbers.

I NOW know the vent connection itself must enter below 45 degrees. I also I know what I did wrong for the shower and that's an easy fix, but the toilet connection is not an easy fix if that connection is unacceptable.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you have a Link to the IRC code that is in effect in your area?

Generally speaking and without understanding how the IRC views things: horizontal wet venting relies on the principle that all fixtures that are being vented by that horizontal run, enter it and remain horizontal. Other bathroom fixtures can enter it above the invert, but they must have their own individual vent.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
This question is an annoying inconsistency between the IRC and the IPC.

The IPC does not prohibit that arrangement for a WC (since it is not subject to the trap weir rule).

But the IRC added the sentence "Each fixture drain shall connect horizontally to the horizontal branch being wet vented or shall have a dry vent."

Since Michigan has adopted Chapter 31 of the IRC (at least according to up.codes), the OP needs to read the Chapter 1 scoping sections of the two Michigan adopted codes and determine if they have the option to do the install under the IPC, or if they must comply with the IRC. That choice, if available, may have other ramifications.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

jbradley2093

Reaction score
I just thought I would update and say that here is the final mock up and it was just approved by the inspector. I noted the IPC with respect to the toilet connection and he was fine with it. He didn't seem to care so much about the text of the code as much as if the setup would work properly .

Thank you all who took the time to help me. I appreciate it greatly.

Attachments

• IMG_20230323_135045225_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230323_135045225_HDR.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20230323_135035742_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230323_135035742_HDR.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 59

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Id cut it all out back to 2 inches sticking out the 3 inch wye and jump up in height with 2 45s or even 22s and then continue similar but with a2 inch drain after the wye going to lav continuing to the tubas a 3 inch trap arm is not a good idea or needed.
Pretty easy but sorry you gotta tear it out

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks