Can NH3 be removed by Cation resin softener or Filox air filter?

Users who are viewing this thread

BkE

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've been following this forum for a while. Great knowledge here! I live in the very little country named Belgium, the country of beer and chocolate :) I finally signed up because I have a question about NH3 in my well water.

I have been using my new well for about 15 months now. It's 26 meters 5" PVC casing. The water is extremely hard (27 dH hardness) and iron tested at 2.5 ppm in the beginning but recently I tested 3.7 ppm. PH +- 7.3.

I have a 0.5 CFT Total Care (Clack WS1 valve) softener and a 1.5 CFT Filox Air Filter with a Evolve WS1 (also Clack) valve. It's an air injection oxidizing filter.

This setup has been performing great! Hardness 0 and iron 0.00 PPM. Great water quality with a good taste.

Now here come's my actual question... I know there was also some ammonia (0.28 PPM) when I had it tested by a lab. I recently bought a Hanna Instruments NH3 checker for our fish pond. I tested our Well water last week and it was 0.00 PPM. I was surprised because a softener and iron filter do normally not remove NH3... I also tested the raw water and it was 0.70 PPM at this moment!

I tested again yesterday and still had 0.00 PPM after my water treatment systems. Great, but why? Does the air injection on the iron filter oxidize the NH3? Is it the water softener?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks