Can I solder drop ear with PEX already connected to shower valve?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by DIY_Novice, Jul 18, 2021.

1. DIY_Novice

DIY_Novice New Member

Hi all, quick question - it looks like I messed up my order of operations. I would have rather soldered the tub spout (sweat drop ear 90 elbow) before putting on the PEX but I screwed up. Can I still sweat solder the drop ear with all this PEX connected to the shower valve? To be clear, I'm not soldering directly to the valve but on the downspout at the drop ear. I have a soldering heat shield and was more concerned about the heat transfering up to the valve and to the PEX rather than the pex drop lines in the vicinity of the flame.

If you do not recommend I solder, can I trust that the thread will tighten up to the same orientation (ie: if I take it off and solder, how am I certain the drop ear will be facing the tub and threads tight?)

20210718_183030r.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I was thinking no based on the title, but yes when I see your photo.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    You are far enough away there. It will be okay.

5. DIY_Novice

DIY_Novice New Member

Thanks Reach4 and Terry. Any issue with dunking the joint in water afterwards to help cool down the pipe faster?

6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    You're not supposed to cool it too quick, I've been using a spray bottle, which you should have on hand anyway.

7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

You can wrap the high part of that pipe in a wet cloth or paper towel, to protect plastic above. Don't have water drip down to the really hot area.