Can I run this armored cable into a plastic junction box for a dishwasher?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by .Nolan., Jan 6, 2019.

1. .Nolan.

.Nolan. New Member

I'm replacing the dishwasher in a 1960s house I just bought, and I don't really trust the electrical in this house.

The previous dishwasher power was supplied by the armored cable pictured (mc vs ac?). Previous dishwasher had a small metal junction box. New dishwasher has the pictured plastic junction box. I can't replace this armored cable without ripping out walls. The dishwasher has a proprietary plug that necessitates the use of this box...

So, is it safe to run this cable into this plastic box? I don't think the red wire was acting as a ground in previous installation, and I don't know where it terminates, so I don't really know how to ground this either.

I'll probably redo all the electrical in the kitchen within about 6 months, but I'd love to use a dishwasher before then. Thanks for any help!

Armored Cable.jpg Dishwasher Junction box.jpg

2. Stuff

Stuff Well-Known Member

That is AC cable so the sheath is the ground. The short aluminum "wire" is the bonding strap and can be cut off.

That cable needs to attach to a metal box. Where does it come out of the wall? Ideally you could mount a metal junction box in the sink cabinet next to the dish washer.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. .Nolan.

.Nolan. New Member

Thank you! I ended up running the AC cable into a metal box, and then brought romex out and into the plastic box. Worked great.