Can I put 400ft pump in 575 ft well

Users who are viewing this thread

Ruslan

Reaction score
I just got new pump, and new pump is 2hp, 35gpm, 400 ft head, 240v, but when I pulled old one out it looks like old pump was about 575 ft deep, my question if this pump will handle such a deep well?
Thank you for help

Reach4

Reaction score
What matters mainly is how far down the surface of the water is , and not where the pump is, as long as the pump is under water.

A 2hp, 35gpm pump will probably not pump water whose top is even 300 ft down. Can you identify this pump? I don't have 35 GPM pump curves handy, but your pump is probably not going to be useful in that well. What was the pump you took out?

A 2HP 10 GPM pump would be more like it. I am not a pro.

Last edited:

Ruslan

Reaction score
What matters mainly is how far down the surface of the water is , and not where the pump is, as long as the pump is under water.

A 2hp, 35gpm pump will probably not pump water whose top is even 300 ft down. Can you identify this pump? I don't have 35 GPM pump curves handy, but your pump is probably not going to be useful in that well. What was the pump you took out?

A 2HP 10 GPM pump would be more like it. I am not a pro.

The pump I got it’s Trusonik SMPTSS254
The old pump I pulled out has no marks and no numbers.
Btw, I’m not plumber at all, just trying to figure it out how to do it myself

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
For 210 bucks I see why you are wanting to use that pump. And like Reach says it is not the depth of the pump, but the depth to water that matters. I don't think they would have set the pump at 575' if there was enough or any water at say 200'. Like Boyce says that pump quits at 400'. If the water level gets any deeper than about 390', it will burn up the pump. If you are using a 40/60 pressure switch, the pump will need to lift from 575' plus another 138' to be able to build to 60 PSI as needed. You might be able to use that motor and put a 10 GPM 2HP pump end on it.

Reach4

Reaction score
575' down is not the most convenient place to replace a pump. It may not be a good idea to put a cheap pump that nobody is familiar with into that location.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks