Can front load washer be leaned on side to install pedestal?

Users who are viewing this thread

tracyballard

Reaction score
Not exactly a pluming question, but I hope someone has some info! I need to get a pedestal for my LG front load washer so my wife doesn't have to bend over so much. I've heard that you can lean this washer over to the left to install the pedestal (leaning right could damage transmission?), but in the official LG video they show 2 people setting the washer down straight onto the pedestal. Can anyone confirm whether leaning the washer to the left to install pedestal would be a problem? thanks in advance!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You CANNOT put the pedestal on by "leaning" the washer. You either have lift the washer on to the pedestal, or lay the washer on the floor and bolt the pedestal onto it, and then stand the whole thing upright.

tracyballard

Reaction score
You CANNOT put the pedestal on by "leaning" the washer. You either have lift the washer on to the pedestal, or lay the washer on the floor and bolt the pedestal onto it, and then stand the whole thing upright.

when I say lean, I mean lean all the way over until it's laying on it's side, then tipping it back upright with the pedestal bolted on. From your answer I'm assuming that's not a totally insane way to do it?

Chefwong

Reaction score
If the shipping struts are in it, I would say yes, with some reservations.....
Personally, the way a laundry tub is setup - suspended on springs and held by struts, NO, I would no lay it on it's side...just buy some beer for the next door neighbor

I.B. Washincars

Reaction score
I figured I would revive this thread, since this is close to what I plan to do.

First off, I am buying a BRAND NEW GE washing machine, which should still be in the box.

I will transport it UPRIGHT in my truck.

I want to lay it on it's back to attach the pedestal. I know this sounds pretty simple, but I want to use the pedestal from my old washer, which is a different brand. It appears to be attached with L brackets, so I don't anticipate any huge problems, but we all know how that can go. Since this will be more time consuming than attaching the correct pedestal, having a couple of buddies holding things while I figure out what to do is not practical.

Does anyone see anything wrong with laying it on its back to do this?

BTW, Lowe's has the correct pedestal in stock, so if I get into trouble with this, I can abort the project and go get the new pedestal. It costs $300, so I'm definitely going to attempt to use the old one first.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I figured I would revive this thread, since this is close to what I plan to do.

First off, I am buying a BRAND NEW GE washing machine, which should still be in the box.

I will transport it UPRIGHT in my truck.

I want to lay it on it's back to attach the pedestal. I know this sounds pretty simple, but I want to use the pedestal from my old washer, which is a different brand. It appears to be attached with L brackets, so I don't anticipate any huge problems, but we all know how that can go. Since this will be more time consuming than attaching the correct pedestal, having a couple of buddies holding things while I figure out what to do is not practical.

Does anyone see anything wrong with laying it on its back to do this?

BTW, Lowe's has the correct pedestal in stock, so if I get into trouble with this, I can abort the project and go get the new pedestal. It costs $300, so I'm definitely going to attempt to use the old one first.
Front load washers have shipping bolts to hold the drum in place. Leaning it all the way over before removing the bolt should be no problem.
Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 12.51.21 PM.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks