Can a Taco 007 run continuous?

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian Murray

Reaction score
I am installing a a wood boiler inside and need a pump to circulate the water. Its a pressured system. Can a Taco 007 run continuous?

Reaction score
If you are going to let it run continuously might want to step up to a ECM one to save on the electrical cost. It would pay for itself over time.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
If you are going to let it run continuously might want to step up to a ECM one to save on the electrical cost. It would pay for itself over time.

That's absolutely true! It would pay off relatively quickly at CT type electricity rates (which are among the highest in the lower 48 states.)

An ECM drive 007e is less than $40 more than old-school 007s at internet pricing, and it's pretty much a direct drop-in replacement for almost any application that calls for an 007. The 007e will typically use only 10-20% th electricity of an old school pump (it varies depending on the actual pumping head), cutting the operating cost by more than 3/4.

In rough terms, the 007 runs about 80 watts or 0.08 kilowatts. If operated 24/7/365 that becomes 8760 hours x 0.08kw=700 kwh/year. At 25 cents/kwh that's $175/year, whereas the 700e would only burn through $18-35/year.

Brian Murray

Reaction score
I called Taco and they said do not use an ECM, they said it will go into economy mode and reduce flow. I wanted to use an ECM

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I called Taco and they said do not use an ECM, they said it will go into economy mode and reduce flow. I wanted to use an ECM

Really?

"Taco 007e is a high-efficiency wet rotor circulator with an ECM permanent magnet motor" according to their short-sheet.

In economy mode it's throttled back to it's minimum, which is just fine for most simpler heating applications. The difference in heat output from the radiation at 1 gpm isn't dramatically less than what it delivers at 4 gpm.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Really?

"Taco 007e is a high-efficiency wet rotor circulator with an ECM permanent magnet motor" according to their short-sheet.

In economy mode it's throttled back to it's minimum, which is just fine for most simpler heating applications. The difference in heat output from the radiation at 1 gpm isn't dramatically less than what it delivers at 4 gpm.
News to me also. Here is a video from taco click on meet the 007 e
https://www.tacocomfort.com/product/007e-ecm-high-efficiency-circulator/

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I mis-spoke- in economy mode it doesn't settle to it's minimum power, but modulates. In the instruction sheet it explains in figure on the bottom of page 5 it explains the economy or "Green Mode" function as:

"Green Mode: After 7 days of constant circulation, the 007e will self-adjust to Green Mode curve (low proportional pressure) for power optimization. See Green mode curve above. When the 007e-2 cycles OFF, the circulator resets to original Normal Mode curve."

(emphasis mine)

In other versions/revisions of the 007e it automatically kicks into green mode after only 12 hours:

gmwd1lryn1th.jpg

But whether 12 hours or 7 days, this is EXACTLY what you would want out of a system pump that is set up to "...run continuous...", as requested in the original post.

Brian Murray

Reaction score
I was worried about the reduced flow for the wood boiler, the loop is really 0 head because the loop is a secondary loop that is 1 1/4 inch copper and 6 feet total. looks like if I cycle the switch once a week. the ECM would still be a great choice and cost saver.

is that chart saying with 0 head i will get 12 gpm in eco mode?

Last edited:

Brian Murray

Reaction score
well 0 might not be accurate, the loop is feeding the return of the oil burner with close tees. the loop is 8 feet total (4 each way)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks