Can 2 lights (same circuit), 2 switched, be converted into one switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Casualfc

Reaction score
I have a 3 switch plate on my wall. One switch is for an indoor light switch ( 3 wire, as there are 2 on the same line). The other 2 switches are two separate outdoor light fixtures. I would like to install an in-wall timer that controls both outdoor light sets at the same time. Is this possible?

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, there would be no problem doing that, if, as you say, the lights are powered by the same circuit. Be aware that many
electronic timer switches require the presence of the circuit neutral wire in the switch box.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I have a 3 switch plate on my wall. One switch is for an indoor light switch ( 3 wire, as there are 2 on the same line). The other 2 switches are two separate outdoor light fixtures. I would like to install an in-wall timer that controls both outdoor light sets at the same time. Is this possible?
I don't quite understand your current arrangement but I can tell you that the timer needs to go in series with the source for all the lights, and between the source and only these light circuits.
This can get pretty tricky.

Once you have a wiring diagram (not the same as a schematic) for your existing setup the necessary changes will be obvious.
Getting this diagram will be difficult, even if your wires follow the color code.
Make drawings of your existing setups in each box so that you can return to the original configuration if necessary, because the worst outcome is that you end up with nothing working and breakers that trip instantly.

You'll need clip leads, a DVM, an extension cord, and a test load, e.g., an incand. bulb. A helper will make things go faster.
I recommend getting one set of lights working at a time. Since switches are cheaper than timers, I'd substitute a switch for the timer until you're sure everything works as planned.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you are describing what you have, and what you want to do, correctly, then all you need is the timer switch to replace either of the two switches, and then connect both lights to its "load" side, (if it directional and has one), and abandon the other switch and its "hot wire". Few timers require a neutral for the circuitry, since they use "backfeed" through the light for the neutral.

Casualfc

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Here's my plan in my layman's terms. In the wall are 2 switches, each attached to 2 black wires and a ground. The timer does not require a neutral, although it has a red wire for use in 3 way setups. My plan is to attach one black wire from each switch to one black wire each on the timer.
This leaves 2 questions. 1) For the unused red wire from the timer, can I just cut the wire, or cap it with a wirenut, or both? 2) For the 2 ground wires, can I just connect them and cap with a wire nut, or do I- connect the 2 ground and run a pigtail to the grounding screw on the timer, or connect the 2 grounds, and use a green wire connector with the hook from one ground going to the screw on the timer?
As you can easily see, this is new to me. Thanks for your help in advance.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
My plan is to attach one black wire from each switch to one black wire each on the timer.
Post a link to your timer.

If your timer controls an internal DPST electromechanical relay then it should be easy. Otherwise you should confirm where each black wire from each wall box goes: to a 120 V source, to a neutral, through a load to a 120 V source or to a neutral, or to somewhere else. Measure with respect to a known good ground or neutral or hot lead while using an incand. lamp across your voltmeter leads.
Also check if there is 240 V between any two black wires, without using the the lamp.

If you hook it up anyway without knowing, because of the permutations and combinations possible with hooking up four wires, the odds are overwhelming that it will not work and/or you will clobber the timer.

At least wear eye protection.

Last edited:

Casualfc

Reaction score

Attachments

• st01c - englishp1.jpg
    st01c - englishp1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,202

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
If a separate breaker controls each switch you can't use this timer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks