Buzzing Honeywell L8148J aquastat

Users who are viewing this thread

Tangent

Reaction score
My Honeywell Resideo L8148J at times makes a buzzing sound. It was buzzing at noon, but silent later in the day. Sound is more noticeable when the burner is off but the circulator is running, only when there is a call for heat.

I’ve seen two similar posts, and the possibilities were (a) the transformer or (b) relay with a rusty armature/core. I can’t tell which is causing the problem, or if intermittent buzzing could only be caused by one of these cases.

I’ve attached a photo with grid lines, and wondered if it would be possible to clean the relay on this device. If so, where on the relay should sandpaper(?) be used?

These Resideo products have failed quickly on me in the past, even though installed by professionals, so I kept the last aquastat as the transformer worked fine and appeared to be easily removable.

Is there a similar product made by Taco, … that will give me equivalent functionality to this Honeywell?

Here is a link to the full resolution closeup image that can be magnified: GridView

Attachments

• aquastat-grid.jpg
    aquastat-grid.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 47
  • _DSF2389.jpg
    _DSF2389.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Relay left pic buzzing. Will only get worst. Only repair is to replace the control. If u can push on the on the part of the relay has 181Number on it the buzz might change.

Tangent

Reaction score
Relay left pic buzzing. Will only get worst. Only repair is to replace the control. If u can push on the on the part of the relay has 181Number on it the buzz might change.
The last Resideo failed with a similar problem. This one didn’t last very long, so I wanted to try a different brand. What do you think of the products below? I couldn't find a similar product from White Rodgers.

Hydrolevel 3200-Plus: 3200

Beckett 7610B: 7610B

Fitter30

Reaction score
The Hydrolevel control has a low water control built into it if used with their well. Page 2 of the install manual.
Is your basement damp where the control is located? What happens to a contactor/ relay where magnetic coil is located it surrounds a pack of individual metal plates and when energize pulls the contacts to them and a layer of rust lays between the two surfaces causing the hum. Replacement is the only fix.

Tangent

Reaction score
The Hydrolevel control has ...
It is a raised ranch, so the basement is 80% above ground, relatively dry. Two aquastatas ago was a different brand, and that one was probably on there for 20 years -- it actually never failed, it was upgraded to the Honeywell. Sorry I recycled it, as it would have been a good backup.

If I go with the Hydrolevel, can I keep everything else as is? There is currently a gap between the boiler and the Resideo aquastat, shown in photo. Using the Hydrolevel and their well nut screw , I assume it will be similar.

Attachments

• aquastat-gap.jpg
    aquastat-gap.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Tangent

Reaction score
Using your well you will lose the low water safety. Can down load the install manual from your link for the control.

Yes, seems like a nice feature.

I noticed that the last two technicians never attached a ground wire to the control. Is that because the control gets grounded via the well nut screw?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks