Building a Reliable Water System to Prevent H2S Slippage that my wife can handle

Users who are viewing this thread

Beets

Reaction score
@skyjumper Thank you. I followed the link, but it didn't answer many of the questions I had. The link seemed to focus on the filter media. I was more interested in the ozone generator (sizing/cost/maintenance needs/maintenance costs), where the ozone is plumbed into the line, how you get it in the line (venturi or pump), what the clack valve does, etc. Here is what I envisioned your system looked like:

I couldn't understand your focus on the Clack valve until I was reading about AIO3 systems. Is that what you have? Something like this? https://www.earthsmartewater.com/aio3-system/ The ozone generator appears to be quite a bit smaller. I suspect that would make it a lot more economical. I will do more reading when I have more time.

Thank you

Skyjumper

Reaction score
the ozone generator i am speaking of is included with the valve. attached to it like the 2nd link you show. the link i shared has it too they just didn't show it. it requires periodic cleaning which your wife would probably have to hire someone to do, but it would certainly be less costly than a service call for multiple tanks/valves/injectors. i suspect the O3 generator will fail at some point and will need replacement. the place I bought mine threw out a verbal "something like 90 bucks" number when I asked. so that is one point where there is some uncertainty --- there's no easy way to tell if the unit is still making ozone. in theory you can smell it, but that's not a reliable indicator.

Beets

Reaction score
Thank you @skyjumper . I am still having trouble finding much information on that setup. I originally started with Centaur Carb and a venturi to suck air into my lines upstream of the pressure tank. That worked well for several months until the SRB's slimed my system. If the O3 could keep the carbon clear, then I think I would be a happy camper. It does sound simple if it is reliable. I'm not sure about cleaning out the injector. I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong words to google more info on these set ups? They seem fairly uncommon with ozone?

Beets

Reaction score
Found a great training video on AIO:

They aren't very fond of ozone, but I don't know if they are talking about a traditional ozone system or AIO3.

I have little doubt an AIO3 system would remove the H2S smell. As mentioned above, I ran a Centaur Carbon filter for a number of months using a micronizer to add air upstream of my pressure tank. I ran that system without any chemicals and it took care of the H2S. However, eventually the SRB's slimed the centaur carbon and then I had H2S smell, and had to rebed the carbon tank. So the real question (for me) is whether AIO3 would sanitize the centaur carbon better than the H2O2 system I now utilize? It sounds like AIO3 systems work better at higher pressure (I'm OK with that), but they also like nightly backwashes (I'm less comfortable with that as we don't have an abundance of water). The video mentioned dosing/residual challenges with O3 and unintended corrosion challenges. Are these real problems for AIO3, or are these problems associated with traditional O3 systems which I think use larger quantities of O3?

Reach4

Reaction score
It would be nice if you could figure out how to run a bleach solution thru your Centaur Carbon now and then. It would be hard for your wife, but you could check the effectiveness.

Beets

Reaction score
I wish I had kept logs, but I feel like fall has been the biggest challenge for my system. So I have a number of months to get something installed and running.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks