Building a better tile

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Building a better shampoo niche takes time and skill. The efforts will net you a less cluttered looking shower with more shower storage. There are so many ways to do this and so many ways to screw it up badly. There is of course a few simple rules I follow and things I like to do to make a niche look and function better.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Building a shower niche (How to Guide) - Setting the back tile tight

The lower niche is more for play time. The long space perfect for bath time. The larger taller niche to the right will be for shampoo and conditioner bottles.

Last edited:

Keithett

Reaction score
John,

I've been reading up on how you create a shower niche and if I understand this correctly, you create an oversize waterproof niche opening so you have the ability to adjust the tile as necessary to match the surrounding tile. I'm going to be tiling a new shower next year and also want my tiled niche to match up exactly with the surrounding tile and like this approach. What I wanted to know is the best way to fill in the approximately 1" (plus or minus) gap behind the tile. Instead of filling this gap with thin set, would it be better to grout in a shim between the niche and the tile? If water behind the tile is a concern, I could make this shim out of a non-porous material.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
John that small shower room w/ the toilet in it, does water make it almost to the door or what?

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
image.jpg

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Looks pretty rough that niche. I wonder if your allowed to fill it with water? Is it hard plastic. Or plastic coated foam?

I would think there is no way of overlapping the waterproofing wit such a rough texture.

$67.67 ! For some plastic foam.

You can buy a box of Ardex 8+9 for $85.00 and build Twenty Niches.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Nice work helping that client in Ontario John..

Its a great service to remotely help folks??

that foam niche is ....im guessing urethane coated and it is heavy and dense..

why anyone would buy a niche baffles me

i was using wedi board for my custom niche's until it jumped to $30 a sheet and on my current build Fin pan ppro panel and sika sealant.

i can build a flood testable niche of any size and place it just right in about an hour and 25$ materials......

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
How do you like the Fin Pan Pro Panel. They emailed me ages a ago and I have ever even seen their product in Vancouver. I see you used WonderBoard Lite. That is my goto shower niche backer board.

1/4" and 1/2" versions work great.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
propanel is ok for what it is.... I think wedi is a bit more rigid and is a different foam core. but we already know you hate it!!!! sika sealant is some good pookey.

cannot stand the sticker bands on wonderboard. but it is
better than durock IMO

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Is this another led feature niche?

im suprised you let that niche line up unevenly on the cours

i see the vein detail carry tru that niche sil nicely...... well done

Last edited:

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Still an awesome build and sweet mitered niche....

every once in a while John i gotta badger you!! level the playing field if you will!

cant wait to see the battery op Led packs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks