Brown water in washer and toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

brenda32041

Reaction score
HI, I keep getting Brown water in my washer and the toilets and kitchen. We put in a whole house filter and have a water boss softener, we have a new water heater 3years old. Village say's there is nothing wrong on there end. This has been going on for a few years now. We built the house in 1995 and everything was fine. Maybe 5 years ago this started. No one else has this problem. My husband gets mad at me because I keep complaining but it is ruining my white clothes. Please HELP ME!!!
BRENDA

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
Try putting one at a time in bypass mode and see if it stops. That will narrow it down to where the problem is coming from. It may take a day or two to see any difference since you'll need to flush out the water heater of the brown water. I'd also drain all the sediment from the water heater. You could also look at the filter cartridge for color. When was the last time you replaced the cartridge?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The most common source of "brown water" is a steel section of piping or fittings which are rusting. Depending on where it is, the rust accumulates between water usages and is then flushed into whatever fixture is used first. The toilet and washer would be most apparent because the water flows in and then accumulates. If you put the plug in your tub and fill it you should have the same problem there, UNLESS the toilet and washer both get their water from the same point after the source of the rust, and it does not affect any other portion of the plumbing system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks